The Winter Meetings are coming

Nov 7, 2011, 8:52 AM EDT

Winter Meetings Dallas

As we plow into the offseason, it’s a good time to remember that the biggest hot stove event is the Winter Meetings. They’re going to be in Dallas this year from December 5-8, though most people show up on Sunday the 4th.

It’s a nutso kind of thing, whether you’re actually on-site or whether you’re just glued to your computer watching the deals go down.  And they do go down sort of whenever. Last year one of the big deals — I think the Jayson Werth signing, but it’s all a blur — happened as everyone was still trying to find their media credentials on Sunday afternoon. The Carl Crawford signing broke at about 11pm one evening. Which taught me a very important lesson: if Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe is walking with purpose toward the media room at 11pm, follow him rather than continuing on to the bar for overpriced Knob Creek.

Anyway, I’ll be there again this year, doing my best not to get arrested, evicted, punched or embarrassed (I promise I’ll avoid at least two of those).  If you ever had any notions of going, Maury has a comprehensive primer and information post over at Biz of Baseball that tells you everything you need to know.

Here’s hoping Yu Darvish is posted but not yet signed by the time the Meetings go down. I miss my 350 friends in the Japanese sporting press and I want to see the entirety of their tenacious power unleashed.

1. Lukehart80 - Nov 7, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Is that an actual logo for the winter meetings? If so, would you please purchase me a t-shirt? I wear a medium.

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Maybe Gator can identify that marsupial.

• cur68 - Nov 7, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Would it be the rarely seen, but oft rumored “southern beaver”? Not as cuddly as it’s northern cousin from the looks of that thing.

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Nine banded armadillo (Dasypus novemcinctus). Wonderful fact: they are the only animals, aside from humans, who can contract leprosy. They are also eaten in some especially backwards parts of Florida as “dilly.” Leprotic dilly is probably considered a delicacy by some of these people who, if they were literate enough to vote, would almost surely vote Republican.

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Amradillo tastes fantastic….similar to pork, but more tender and tastier.

• cur68 - Nov 7, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Yeah? Well Beaver tastes of…never mind.

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:05 PM

The word for armadillo in Guarani (native language of Paraguay) is tatu….a word that has an alternative meaning not unlike beaver.

• cur68 - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:09 PM

And does ‘tatu’ also taste of pork?

• paperlions - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Not usually, no.

2. halladaysbiceps - Nov 7, 2011 at 9:21 AM

I was thinking of attending the Winter Meeting, sit at the hotel bar, have a few drinks, and tell Ruben Amaro Jr. what moves he needs to make to improve the Phillies lineup. Then, I imagine Amaro calling over his new scouting assistant, Dave Hollins (nicknamed “Head”) to do a number on me.

I think I will stay home.

3. yankeesfanlen - Nov 7, 2011 at 9:25 AM

What’s it like having Hideki Matsui on your team?

4. sportsdrenched.com - Nov 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM

I wonder if Bibi Jones will be there?

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Doing her Messalina impersonation again…

5. manifunk - Nov 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Reminder that actually the week AFTER the team meetings is usually when the biggest trades go down (the Lee/Halladay deal, for example).

6. Kyle - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Looking forward to it, Craig. Your coverage last season was a lot of fun.

7. Tyree Studio - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:49 AM

…it’s the most wonderful time of the year…

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Thanks, Bing.

• Old Gator - Nov 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Crap, hit “post” too soon.

As I was saying, thanks Bing. Please arrange to stuff the Feesh’s stockings with lots of moderately priced free agents whose comeback years are looming. We love those kinds of guys down here in Macondo.

• jimbo1949 - Nov 7, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Thought that was Mr Claudine Longet?

8. bklynbaseball - Nov 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM

“If you ever had any notions of going, Maury has a comprehensive primer and information post over at Biz of Baseball that tells you everything you need to know.”

OR you could go to http://www.baseballwintermeetings.com and get your information from the same place Maury got his.

• maurybrown - Nov 7, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Some of the cost details came from the link you provide. Majority of it comes from experience of attending.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS