Nov 7, 2011, 8:52 AM EDT
As we plow into the offseason, it’s a good time to remember that the biggest hot stove event is the Winter Meetings. They’re going to be in Dallas this year from December 5-8, though most people show up on Sunday the 4th.
It’s a nutso kind of thing, whether you’re actually on-site or whether you’re just glued to your computer watching the deals go down. And they do go down sort of whenever. Last year one of the big deals — I think the Jayson Werth signing, but it’s all a blur — happened as everyone was still trying to find their media credentials on Sunday afternoon. The Carl Crawford signing broke at about 11pm one evening. Which taught me a very important lesson: if Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe is walking with purpose toward the media room at 11pm, follow him rather than continuing on to the bar for overpriced Knob Creek.
Anyway, I’ll be there again this year, doing my best not to get arrested, evicted, punched or embarrassed (I promise I’ll avoid at least two of those). If you ever had any notions of going, Maury has a comprehensive primer and information post over at Biz of Baseball that tells you everything you need to know.
Here’s hoping Yu Darvish is posted but not yet signed by the time the Meetings go down. I miss my 350 friends in the Japanese sporting press and I want to see the entirety of their tenacious power unleashed.
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 15
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 14
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 36
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 30
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 44
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 72
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)