Nov 7, 2011, 8:52 AM EDT
As we plow into the offseason, it’s a good time to remember that the biggest hot stove event is the Winter Meetings. They’re going to be in Dallas this year from December 5-8, though most people show up on Sunday the 4th.
It’s a nutso kind of thing, whether you’re actually on-site or whether you’re just glued to your computer watching the deals go down. And they do go down sort of whenever. Last year one of the big deals — I think the Jayson Werth signing, but it’s all a blur — happened as everyone was still trying to find their media credentials on Sunday afternoon. The Carl Crawford signing broke at about 11pm one evening. Which taught me a very important lesson: if Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe is walking with purpose toward the media room at 11pm, follow him rather than continuing on to the bar for overpriced Knob Creek.
Anyway, I’ll be there again this year, doing my best not to get arrested, evicted, punched or embarrassed (I promise I’ll avoid at least two of those). If you ever had any notions of going, Maury has a comprehensive primer and information post over at Biz of Baseball that tells you everything you need to know.
Here’s hoping Yu Darvish is posted but not yet signed by the time the Meetings go down. I miss my 350 friends in the Japanese sporting press and I want to see the entirety of their tenacious power unleashed.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)