Nov 7, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT
Now that you have had a chance to recover from the Yoenis Cespedes video, let’s talk about where this too weird to live and too rare to die talent may actually play baseball.
He had a tryout in the Dominican Republic on Friday and, as Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports, it drew the interest of several teams. In addition to the usual suspects — like the Yankees, who have expressed interest — the Nationals, Marlins and Phillies are all keenly interested too. And it doesn’t seem hard to see why.
Friend-of-the-blog and sometimes commenter @Leokitty made a great point: The Marlins are too perfect a fit. They’ve made noise about wanting to make a big splash, this is a very-Marlins kind of splash in that, while it would take money, it’s not crazy money because the guy would be controlled for years. He’s Cuban, and that is a pretty awesome thing to be in Miami. In a lot of ways it might mirror the Aroldis Chapman thing in that no one saw the Reds coming until just before they signed the guy.
In any event. it sounds like we have another top-end free agent on our hands this winter. And that’s wonderful.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)