Nov 7, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT
Now that you have had a chance to recover from the Yoenis Cespedes video, let’s talk about where this too weird to live and too rare to die talent may actually play baseball.
He had a tryout in the Dominican Republic on Friday and, as Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports, it drew the interest of several teams. In addition to the usual suspects — like the Yankees, who have expressed interest — the Nationals, Marlins and Phillies are all keenly interested too. And it doesn’t seem hard to see why.
Friend-of-the-blog and sometimes commenter @Leokitty made a great point: The Marlins are too perfect a fit. They’ve made noise about wanting to make a big splash, this is a very-Marlins kind of splash in that, while it would take money, it’s not crazy money because the guy would be controlled for years. He’s Cuban, and that is a pretty awesome thing to be in Miami. In a lot of ways it might mirror the Aroldis Chapman thing in that no one saw the Reds coming until just before they signed the guy.
In any event. it sounds like we have another top-end free agent on our hands this winter. And that’s wonderful.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)