Nov 8, 2011, 1:46 PM EST
On New Year’s Eve, a 25-year-old man named Michel Castillo Almonte was killed in the Dominican Republic. Orioles pitcher Alfredo Simon was arrested and jailed in the shooting, though he was later freed and allowed to come to the U.S. to pitch in advance of his trial.
He just had his trial and the jury acquitted him. Alfredo Simon is a free man.
The theory was that Simon fired a gun into the air in revelry, with the bullet coming down and killing Almonte. Experts testified that the bullet came from someone else’s gun, however.
Between that and the civil suit by the victim’s family being dropped earlier this year, Simon’s trials in this matter would seem to be over.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)