Bruce Bochy: “Barry Zito is our fifth starter next year”

Nov 8, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT

San Francisco Giants v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

By trading Jonathan Sanchez to the Royals yesterday the Giants opened up a rotation spot and manager Bruce Bochy said that Barry Zito is the man for the job.

During a radio interview with KNBR today Bochy revealed: “I’m not gonna hide from it. Barry Zito is our fifth starter next year.”

Zito started just nine games this year because of injuries and ineffectiveness, and there was speculation throughout the season that the Giants might finally decide to eat his salary and release the veteran left-hander.

However, while Zito was a massive free agent bust and incredibly overpaid he’s also more often than not been a decent back-of-the-rotation starter and there’s no reason to part with that when the Giants are paying him either way. Zito had a 4.03 ERA over 192 innings in 2009 and a 4.15 ERA over 199 innings in 2010, and just about every team in baseball would be thrilled to get that out of their fifth starter.

1. Francisco (FC) - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Man oh man, at this point, they’d be better off spending a little extra cash and signing Jamie Moyer.

• cur68 - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Who says they won’t? If they do, what a rotation and story that be. Moyer > Zito for a tenth the dough, too.

2. sisqsage - Nov 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Can’t believe that contract didn’t have an opt out after like the midway point for the Giants’ sake at least.
    They are stuck. As Boch says, there’s no use hiding from it. He has to pitch for them. Nobody just eats $40 million-plus.
    That being said, Z can still be an OK fifth starter. That’s all they need from him. How many teams have a good fifth starter anyway? You just have to live with a few ugly outings, some decent ones and he’ll end up with like 8 wins, like everybody else’s fifth starter. He’ll just be the most ridiculously overpaid of the lot.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 8, 2011 at 1:33 PM

How many teams pay their 5th starter $40 million-plus.

• camleck - Nov 8, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Yankees and Red Sox come to mind actually

3. sisqsage - Nov 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM

I was talkng about win totals, not money. I already allowed he was way overpaid.

4. SOBEIT - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Giants doing what they do with most off-season opportunities. Crush the fans hopes with ridiculous signings and even worse statements. Except for 2010, Bochy and Sabean have been terrible. I wonder which Zito will show up…bad Zito or bust Zito?

Maybe Melkly has turned the corner…maybe he can go workout with Sandoval in Arizona this winter to make sure he gets into shape. At least Melky is not 30+ and $6M+ like most poor FA signings by Sabean. I guess that is a sliver of hope. If the Niners weren’t doing so well, I would be obsessing on the poor start to FA signings. So according to another post, the Giants are passing on Beltran…which is actually smart considering the age, injuries and $$$$.

So where does that leave Cody Ross and Andres Torres as backup OFs. I guess non-tender in hopes of signing as FA at lower salaries than arbi would have offered. $1-2M each is what I guess. Burrell will retire unless he got some Bartolo Colon treatment in another country to heal his foot.

I guess not much will change until after the contracts or arbi’s for the pitchers…then more news on adding a bat beyond Melky…please add another real bat besides Melky.

5. APBA Guy - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM

One of the ways you can tell I’m an Oakland fan first is the quality of my Giants comments.

I “hope” the Giants have another Ryan Vogelsong somewhere in AAA to bail them out of their “Zito is our 5th starter” problem.

If it were the A’s, I could point to 3 guys at AAA or on the DL who are better than Zito for the 5th starter role.

That said, I hope that Zito gets a start in both ends of the Bay Bridge series this year.

And my goodness, they absolutely must have run out of patience to cut Sanchez loose for Melky. Melky’s fly balls are just going to die in A&T.

1. M. Morse (2232)