Nov 8, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT
Yesterday during an interview with 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City general manager Dayton Moore said that the Royals will “explore” a potential trade for Carlos Zambrano, who’s currently pitching in the Venezuelan winter league.
Via David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com, here’s what Moore told host Mark Carman:
We would have to be interested. We would have to explore it because that’s what you should do. You should explore every opportunity. Carlos Zambrano is a heckuva competitor. Carlos Zambrano has had a lot of success in the major leagues. Carlos Zambrano is actually a very pleasant, easy going, classy person off the field.
Sometimes, as with all of us the competitiveness takes over and brings out qualities in us that we are not proud of. Obviously the Cubs grew tired of some of his outbursts but I believe in our coaching staff and we’ll always take a chance and a risk on certain players. We’ll see how that particular situation unfolds.
If the Cubs could unload the $18 million remaining on Zambrano’s contract and get any kind of a decent prospect in return for him they’d no doubt jump at the opportunity, but new team president Theo Epstein has indicated that they may decide not to simply unload Zambrano if it means eating most of that salary.
Moore and the Royals added rotation help yesterday in the form of Jonathan Sanchez, but they still have room for another veteran starter or two to help supplement the youth movement. Of course, it may all be a moot point because Zambrano has a no-trade clause and Kansas City presumably isn’t very high on his list of preferred destinations.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 0
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 33
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 59
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 70
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)