GM says Royals will “explore” a trade for Carlos Zambrano

Nov 8, 2011, 2:18 PM EDT

Chicago Cubs v Atlanta Braves Getty Images

Yesterday during an interview with 610 Sports Radio in Kansas City general manager Dayton Moore said that the Royals will “explore” a potential trade for Carlos Zambrano, who’s currently pitching in the Venezuelan winter league.

Via David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com, here’s what Moore told host Mark Carman:

We would have to be interested. We would have to explore it because that’s what you should do. You should explore every opportunity. Carlos Zambrano is a heckuva competitor. Carlos Zambrano has had a lot of success in the major leagues. Carlos Zambrano is actually a very pleasant, easy going, classy person off the field.

Sometimes, as with all of us the competitiveness takes over and brings out qualities in us that we are not proud of. Obviously the Cubs grew tired of some of his outbursts but I believe in our coaching staff and we’ll always take a chance and a risk on certain players. We’ll see how that particular situation unfolds.

If the Cubs could unload the $18 million remaining on Zambrano’s contract and get any kind of a decent prospect in return for him they’d no doubt jump at the opportunity, but new team president Theo Epstein has indicated that they may decide not to simply unload Zambrano if it means eating most of that salary.

Moore and the Royals added rotation help yesterday in the form of Jonathan Sanchez, but they still have room for another veteran starter or two to help supplement the youth movement. Of course, it may all be a moot point because Zambrano has a no-trade clause and Kansas City presumably isn’t very high on his list of preferred destinations.

1. bobwsc - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Theo couldn’t use those Jedi mind tricks when it came to unloading Lackey?

2. Tyree Studio - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Sigh. I already commented on this non-story on mlbtraderumors. What is missing here in the article is the original context of the question. It was basically a joke at the end of the radio segment. Listen here at the 7 minute mark:

The host asked DM if the cubs woudl be willing to just GIVE him Zam would he take him. DM did his best to dance around the stupid question like a professional.

• aaronmoreno - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Uh, we’re sorry you have to comment more than once about this?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:57 PM

We’re terrible. We should be watching Tyree’s comments on all websites like hawks. I am so sorry, Tyree.

If it makes you feel any better, most of us probably are just reading the thought of him going to KC for fun, as opposed to something all that realistic.

Let us know next time you post to something – maybe we can have an alarm set up on our computers or something.

• Tyree Studio - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Wow. Not sure why my comments were so “offensive”. I don’t expect everyone else on HBT to be up on every tid bit of Royals rumor and info like I am…I’m pathetic in that regards and really could use some psychological help in that respect.

What I was trying to confer in my original post is that I’ve read this “story” in 3 different places (including mlbtraderumors) and all 3 sites fail to quote DM in context. If you listen to the interview he was asked if he’d be interested if the Cubs just gave him to the Royals. And DM, like he is prone to do in interviews, rambles on and on about him but never did he say: “Yes we are exploring CZ”.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 8, 2011 at 5:14 PM

I know, I just felt like being a smartypants. It’s nice to see the Royals really branching out like this. I’d like to see them kick some tail in the AL Central, and if Z can thrive there, I’d be happy for him. Maybe Dave EIland is just what he needs. Not like Dave isn’t familiar with big personalities after being in the Bronx.

3. halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:39 PM

What about his antics on the field and with his teammates in the clubhouse? This guy is a cancer. If the Royals were so interested in starting pitching, why trade Greinke?

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

• Tyree Studio - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:44 PM

No MLB GM is going to get on the radio and say Carlos Z is a douche-bag.

KC is not going to be trading for the guy:

Bob Dutton twitter:

Royals_Report Bob Dutton
      Have talked to #Royals folks regarding reports of interest in Carlos Zambrano…Hearing: Sure, if he’s released. That’s always been true.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Why then would the GM make comments about him? And, even if Zambrano is released, why would you want him? He’s a quitter, a punk, and a lousy teammate.

• okobojicat - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:13 PM

godamnit Halladay. Are you so damn stupid you didn’t read Tyree’s comment above? He didn’t bring him up. He was asked if they would evaluate him if he became available. Every GM would say “we’d take a look at him.” Now, Dayton went a bit further than that, but he didn’t say we’re actively pursuing him.

You are being willfully idiotic again. God I missed those weeks when you were gone.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:19 PM

okobojicat,

I miss the time in between my post when you aren’t acting like a dickhead.

Stay off my comments if you don’t like them. Thumb my comment down and move along. You guys don’t get it. I don’t care what you think of me or my opinions. I have people on this board I talk baseball with. I don’t care what you say. I will continue to make my opinion. You waste your responses.

• okobojicat - Nov 8, 2011 at 4:01 PM

If you didn’t care what people thought about your thoughts, you wouldn’t post on here. People talk, write, chat, do whatever because we crave interaction with other people. Its human nature. Its why I occasionally comment on here.

I am a dickhead to your idiotic comments because they bring down the commentary of this site. This site is a better site when you aren’t commenting here. The other Philly fans are great. They have great insights. They are often hilarious. And I enjoy occasionally pointing out how they over value Ryan Howard :)

Your comments however, are not. They are often derogatory to the people they are about. However, you are often completely wrong in your assertions. So you insult people for saying something they didn’t say, don’t believe, or would never in a million years believe. You write as if your opinions should hold more weight, and yet because you’ve been incorrect and proven wrong so many times, we all know your opinions should hold less weight.

I would suspect you are a troll, somedays I do wonder, in particular your assertions today about Kuroda as collecting paycheck (and thus not wanting to win) when he obviously could go collect a bigger paycheck someplace else and not limit his negotiating options. You attribute negative beliefs to people who don’t know with certainty and then when you are disproven, you don’t admit it. Your commentary is a bane to fun, free flowing, humorfull forums. You’re antagonistic to the point of ridiculousness with almost everyone.

When I say HBT would be better off with you reading, and not commenting, I’m not alone.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM

okobojicat,

Here’s another derogatory comment: Fuck You :)

• cintiphil - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Only the Royals organization is stupid to consider this trade. Leave the guy in Chicago like an Albatross around their neck.

4. phukyouk - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:41 PM

you can tell by the amount of times he said Big Z’s name that they have no interest at all in him

5. halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:37 PM

If you Royals fans want Zambrano that much, you deserve him. Your organization is ran by a bunch of pathetic losers. You organization couldn’t keep Zach Greinke and you just traded for a scrub known as Jonathan Sanchez.

Yeah, you guys have a lot to look forward to in 2012. Good luck to another 26 years of losing.

• lazlosother - Nov 8, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Off the meds again?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 8, 2011 at 5:29 PM

He’s like the Edwin Jackson of comments. He either has something intelligent and convincing to say, or he loosens up the screws in his head and makes about as much sense as a Rick Perry New Hampshire speech.

• The Common Man - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:33 PM

I must have missed all the ‘cepts comments that were intelligent and convincing. I tend to only see unhinged, ignorant, and completely inaccurate.

6. thomas2727 - Nov 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Only way anybody would consider Z is if the Cubs pay $20 million of his $18 million salary.

7. diehardcubbiefan4life - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:52 PM

“Carlos Zambrano is actually a very pleasant, easy going, classy person off the field.” LOLOLOOLLOLOOLLOLOLOPLOLOL

8. yippityskippity69 - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:53 AM

Who cares about this guy? Dump him even if it means eating part or most of his remaining contract. Horrible teammate who quit on his team when his performance was suffering. Hope the new management will have 0 tolerance for a guy like that. I’m pretty sure his best days Are behind him on the mound. He does rake for a pitcher though so maybe he can pitch for KC and DH on his off days.

9. purnellmeagrejr - Nov 9, 2011 at 8:36 AM

“If the Cubs could unload the $18 million remaining on Zambrano‚Äôs contract and get any kind of a decent prospect in return ”
    And if I could jump ten feet I could play in the NBA (well, not this season.)

• cintiphil - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Why would any team want the guy? He is at the end of his career, and is over paid by buckets of money, and a trouble maker in the clubhouse. Cubs, here is an idea: Live with it!

Three legends off to Cooperstown