Hiroki Kuroda is talking to the Hiroshima Carp

Nov 8, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT

kuroda throws getty Getty Images

Hiroki Kuroda has made it clear that if he plays in the majors, it will be for the Dodgers and no one else.  But he doesn’t have to play in the majors.  According to Nikkan Sports — passed along by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker — the Hiroshima Carp have made an offer to Kuroda, and he’s apparently considering it:

“I’m happy that they would evaluate my contributions like that. Naturally, I’m happy. A feeling that they really want to win came across.”

The Dodgers certainly wouldn’t want to lose the guy, but it definitely seems that money is not Kuroda’s motivator, so it’s kind of out of their hands.

1. halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:27 PM

“Hiroki Kuroda has made it clear that if he plays in the majors, it will be for the Dodgers and no one else.”

I heard this during the trade deadline. I think this guy’s a headcase. Seriously, he wouldn’t accept a trade to any contender during the trade deadline. This reaffirms my belief he doesn’t care if he wins. He’s a paycheck collector. Nothing more.

Let him go back to Japan. If I were a Dodgers fan, I would say sayonara.

• zakharovsa - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:48 PM

HB, if he’s a “paycheck collector,” wouldn’t he be holding out for the largest paycheck? I’m sure there are MLB teams not in financial turmoil that would love to have him.

The guys loves LA. That’s all.

• lanflfan - Nov 8, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Spoken like a true frustrated East Coast, American fan. It is entirely possible Kuroda is simply a loyal guy who prefers to play on the West Coast. I know that is sacrilege for East Coasters to consider, but not everyone is motivated by the all-mighty dollar or a chance to jump ship and get a ring.

As a Dodger fan, I don’t want to see Kuroda go back to Japan. He has been a very consistent and reliable starter, but as he nears the end of his playing career I respect the fact he may choose to go home and play a few more seasons.

2. SmackSaw - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM

He has to have a backup plan if the Dodgers don’t work out. A brother has to have options. It’s all about negotiations. He wants to be a Dodger. Loyalty like that is non existent. He’s Tommy LaSorda’s type. Kuroda loves the Dodgers.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Loyalty? The guy wasn’t drafted and raised in the Dodgers’ farm system. He a FA acquisition from Japan. When the Dodgers knew they weren’t contending last year, they wanted to deal him and he acted like a little punk. Loyalty to the Dodgers? He just said he is open to the option of returning to Japan. I hardly call that loyalty.

• Matt D. - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM

That’s one way to look at it. The other is that he’s only willing to leave his team if it’s in order to return home. It’s not at all unlike a player who says that he will either remain with his current team or retire. You can’t begrudge the man wanting to return to his home country.

• SmackSaw - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Yeah. I’m aware of his history. Los Angeles to Tokyo is 9 hours. That’s why he rejected trade options.

3. Old Gator - Nov 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

The Carp would be an interesting place for him. In Japanese baseball, they have a history and reputation similar to the old Minnesota Twins of the Killibrew days; tons of hitting, lousy pitching, routinely losing games by scores like 11-10.

That, plus if you’re sitting in the Hiroshima stadium in a broad arc between third and first, the “bomb dome,” the old mercantile mart with the melted skydome that was ground zero for the atomic bomb, is right across the street in the Peace Park. It’s a weird thing to be enjoying a ballgame on a halcyon afternoon and seeing that antepenultimate monument to our mutual inhumanity towards each other just over there beyond the scoreboard.

4. bobwsc - Nov 8, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Hiroshima Carp sounds like a venereal disease that old Navy men talk about.

5. purnellmeagrejr - Nov 9, 2011 at 8:26 AM

Hiroki Kuroda – the man who talked to fish.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3742)