Mark Buehrle to meet with the Marlins today

Nov 8, 2011, 8:15 AM EST

Minnesota Twins v Chicago White Sox Getty Images

The Marlins seem to be in on everyone. Jose Reyes. Yoenis Cespedes. Heck, there are even multiple reports out there that they’re going to get into the Albert Pujols/Prince Fielder game.  Next up, though: Mark Buehrle. Ken Rosenthal reports that the Marilins will meet with him today.

Buehrle would certainly help a Marlins rotation that, those big names above aside, is what Miami needs to focus on most, but it’s unclear that the Buehrle wants to actually, you know, go there.  Yes, Ozzie Guillen is the manager Buehrle has known for the last eight seasons, but he’s also from Missouri and it’s been widely suggested that he wants to go to St. Louis. Of course, that’s sort of up to St. Louis, and there hasn’t been any suggestion as of yet that they’re interested.

Anyway, heady times for the Marlins who have basically been mentioned in connection with all of the major free agents in the past week.

1. JBerardi - Nov 8, 2011 at 8:21 AM

I predict that the Marlins end up signing none of these guys, then start complaining that they can’t truly be competitive in free agency until they get their new new stadium. Being a parasitic grifter is the new market inefficiency.

• cur68 - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Beat me to it, JB. I hope I’m wrong, but I fear this is all just hot air.

2. halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I hear that the Marlins are also interested in bringing back Jeff Conine as a bench guy.

3. uyf1950 - Nov 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM

I thought I read a little while back where the Marlins were expected to increase the payroll from the $56M in to 2011 to about $80 or $85M this year. Based on not only every FA they have been linked to but some non FA’s as well an $85M payroll in 2012 isn’t nearly enough. Count on them MAYBE getting one of these guys possibly the freak Yoenis Cespedes because of the Cuban community in Miami. Other then that they probably will come up empty. Just my opinion.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Great point! That’s what I heard too. The $85M figure. It’s laughable that all these FA are being linked to the Marlins. If they sign half of them, they will need a budget the size of Nasa (not that their budget is what it once was).

• JBerardi - Nov 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM

If only Nasa had threatened to move to Canada, we’d be teraforming Mars today.

• uyf1950 - Nov 8, 2011 at 9:26 AM

halladay…, as for Buehrle. I don’t see him going to the Marlins. Why go to a team at this stage of his career where at best in 2012 they would probably only be the 4th best team in their division come 2012 (Phillies, Braves, Nationals then the Marlins). Doesn’t make any sense. The Marlins aren’t going to knock his socks off (no pun intended) with an offer either in years or dollars and he’ll be 33 when the 2012 season starts. I just don’t see it.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Fun Fact: NASA’s budget is larger than the entire revenue of MLB and the NFL combined…

4. yankeesgameday - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Sounds like the marlins are going to make their once every ten years push for the world series. The thing about them is that when they do put their mind to putting together a great team they always pull it off. Too bad they then go through massive fire sales.

I for one love it when the marlins are good, but then again I was at the very first game they ever played and it will always be Joe Robbie Stadium to me.

5. spudchukar - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM

The Marlins’ primary need is at 3B. Look for them to either sign Ramirez or Reyes and then move Hanley Ramirez to 3B. Unless they are serious about trading Nolasco, the need for another starter is secondary, especially if they re-sign Vasquez. Perhaps they move Morrison and look for another 1B answer but I doubt they will go all in for Pujols or Fielder, particularly if they pursue Reyes.

• Old Gator - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:03 AM

3B is one of their primary needs. They haven’t had a real third baseman since they traded Mike Lowell, and in the interim they’ve had more conversions at the far corner than an evangelical river baptism. The rotation is a biggie, though, and Buehrle would be a terrific signing – if this isn’t just more Scrooge McLoria/Chihuahua squid ink. And above all, they desperately need some seetuational heeters no matter what base they play. They batted something like .156 with RISP last season, to the mind of this frustrated fan who watched probably 85% of their games the biggest single factor in their midseason nosedive from competitiveness in the division. They left more guys out there to die than the Red Crescent in Sudan.

6. sknut - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM

I am sure the older fans would appreciate how fast Buehrle pitches and they would be able to get home in time to watch the end of Murder She Wrote.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3214)
  2. J. Kang (3074)
  3. C. McGehee (2798)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2766)
  5. J. Upton (2752)