Nov 8, 2011, 8:46 AM EST
Nothing is easy with this guy.
Frank McCourt and Major League Baseball have a deal in which the team and the stadium and everything is to be sold and the TV rights — which aren’t up for renewal for two years — will be dealt with by the new owners, whoever they are. The reason for the TV rights not being dealt with now is simple: Fox is going to sue the Dodgers back to the stone age if he tries to sell them now because Fox has exclusive negotiating rights for a future deal through next year.
Frank McCourt soon could ask the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to let him sell the Dodgers’ television rights along with the team, a strategy that could violate his sale agreement with Major League Baseball and revive his dormant litigation with Fox Sports.
“The Dodgers plan to file in the near future with the bankruptcy court an amended media rights procurement motion,” according to a club statement late Monday.
I don’t know. He’s defective somehow. It’s not enough to get out from under this mess and — if the sale is handled smoothly — maybe even walk away with a little pocket change. He has to make trouble. I’m guessing the court or Fox or someone will tell him he can’t mess with the TV rights. He seems to not get anything until someone smacks him over the head with a 2×4. Thank goodness there are plenty of 2x4s laying around.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)