Nov 8, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Nothing is easy with this guy.
Frank McCourt and Major League Baseball have a deal in which the team and the stadium and everything is to be sold and the TV rights — which aren’t up for renewal for two years — will be dealt with by the new owners, whoever they are. The reason for the TV rights not being dealt with now is simple: Fox is going to sue the Dodgers back to the stone age if he tries to sell them now because Fox has exclusive negotiating rights for a future deal through next year.
Frank McCourt soon could ask the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to let him sell the Dodgers’ television rights along with the team, a strategy that could violate his sale agreement with Major League Baseball and revive his dormant litigation with Fox Sports.
“The Dodgers plan to file in the near future with the bankruptcy court an amended media rights procurement motion,” according to a club statement late Monday.
I don’t know. He’s defective somehow. It’s not enough to get out from under this mess and — if the sale is handled smoothly — maybe even walk away with a little pocket change. He has to make trouble. I’m guessing the court or Fox or someone will tell him he can’t mess with the TV rights. He seems to not get anything until someone smacks him over the head with a 2×4. Thank goodness there are plenty of 2x4s laying around.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)