Nov 8, 2011, 8:46 AM EDT
Nothing is easy with this guy.
Frank McCourt and Major League Baseball have a deal in which the team and the stadium and everything is to be sold and the TV rights — which aren’t up for renewal for two years — will be dealt with by the new owners, whoever they are. The reason for the TV rights not being dealt with now is simple: Fox is going to sue the Dodgers back to the stone age if he tries to sell them now because Fox has exclusive negotiating rights for a future deal through next year.
Frank McCourt soon could ask the U.S. Bankruptcy Court to let him sell the Dodgers’ television rights along with the team, a strategy that could violate his sale agreement with Major League Baseball and revive his dormant litigation with Fox Sports.
“The Dodgers plan to file in the near future with the bankruptcy court an amended media rights procurement motion,” according to a club statement late Monday.
I don’t know. He’s defective somehow. It’s not enough to get out from under this mess and — if the sale is handled smoothly — maybe even walk away with a little pocket change. He has to make trouble. I’m guessing the court or Fox or someone will tell him he can’t mess with the TV rights. He seems to not get anything until someone smacks him over the head with a 2×4. Thank goodness there are plenty of 2x4s laying around.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)