Nov 8, 2011, 10:30 PM EDT
The free agent market opened for business less than a week ago, so Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is just getting started in his search for a starting pitcher.
He got in touch with the agent for C.J. Wilson and Roy Oswalt over the weekend and contacted Mark Buehrle‘s agent Jeff Berry earlier today. Buster Olney of ESPN.com writes Cashman is just doing his “due diligence” as he gets his lay of the free agent landscape, but he also mentions that it’s “highly unlikely” the Yankees will make a serious run at Buehrle.
Interesting. This is the Yankees we’re talking about, so it’s impossible to rule them out on any free agent, but it sure doesn’t sound like Buehrle will be hurting for offers this winter. The veteran left-hander met with the Marlins today and his agent hinted last week that he could prefer pitching in the National League. While they may get priced out due to the competition in a weak market for free agent starters, Chuck Garfien of CSNChicago.com notes that the White Sox remain in the mix, as well.
Buehrle, who turns 33 in March, went 13-9 with a 3.59 ERA over 31 starts this season. He has 11 straight seasons of at least 200 innings pitched.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 11
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 46
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 51
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 44
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)