Nov 8, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports confirms that the two sides are discussing a four-year, $44 million deal with a $13 million vesting option for 2016. Oh, Ruben.
Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that the two sides are close to agreeing on a four-year deal with a potential vesting option for a fifth year.
Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that they are discussing a deal for about $11 million per season, so we could be looking at a four-year, $44 million contract.
Madson’s agent Scott Boras usually lets these situations play out a little longer, but he would be crazy to leave an offer like this on the table. If this goes down, you can be sure that some of the other high-profile free agent closers (Jonathan Papelbon, Heath Bell, Francisco Rodriguez) will be sending Ruben Amaro, Jr. a Christmas card.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8