Nov 8, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports confirms that the two sides are discussing a four-year, $44 million deal with a $13 million vesting option for 2016. Oh, Ruben.
Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that the two sides are close to agreeing on a four-year deal with a potential vesting option for a fifth year.
Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that they are discussing a deal for about $11 million per season, so we could be looking at a four-year, $44 million contract.
Madson’s agent Scott Boras usually lets these situations play out a little longer, but he would be crazy to leave an offer like this on the table. If this goes down, you can be sure that some of the other high-profile free agent closers (Jonathan Papelbon, Heath Bell, Francisco Rodriguez) will be sending Ruben Amaro, Jr. a Christmas card.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 3
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 23
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 7
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 6
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (161)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)