Nov 8, 2011, 6:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports confirms that the two sides are discussing a four-year, $44 million deal with a $13 million vesting option for 2016. Oh, Ruben.
Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that the two sides are close to agreeing on a four-year deal with a potential vesting option for a fifth year.
Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that they are discussing a deal for about $11 million per season, so we could be looking at a four-year, $44 million contract.
Madson’s agent Scott Boras usually lets these situations play out a little longer, but he would be crazy to leave an offer like this on the table. If this goes down, you can be sure that some of the other high-profile free agent closers (Jonathan Papelbon, Heath Bell, Francisco Rodriguez) will be sending Ruben Amaro, Jr. a Christmas card.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)