Nov 8, 2011, 7:30 PM EST
Indians bench coach Sandy Alomar, Jr. is already scheduled to interview for the Red Sox managerial opening tomorrow, but Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago.com hears that he will also interview with the Cubs later this week.
Alomar isn’t exactly a surprise candidate with Chicago, but this is the first confirmation of an interview. The six-time All-Star catcher has served as first base coach for the Indians for the past two seasons and was recently promoted to the position of bench coach by manager Manny Acta.
The Cubs have already met with Phillies bench coach Pete Mackanin and Brewers hitting coach Dale Sveum. While Rangers pitching coach Mike Maddux withdrew his name from consideration for Boston’s managerial job yesterday, he is still scheduled to interview with the Cubs tomorrow.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (223)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)