The Cardinals will interview Terry Francona today

Nov 8, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Terry Francona AP

WEEI reports that Terry Francona will interview for the Cardinals’ managerial job today. The club wants to have someone in place next week.

From afar Francona seems like such a good fit. He’s been expected to win-now for most of the past decade, so going to a win-now job — this one without clubhouse crankiness like he had in Boston — seems natural.  The only x-factor is if left Boston just because that situation was deteriorating for him or, instead, if he generally is burned out right now.

As a person who has been burned out before, I can attest that it is really hard to hide that, even in a job interview, so I guess St. Louis will figure that out.

1. JBerardi - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Managing an NL team does not play to Francona’s strengths. Even in the AL, his bullpen management is suspect. And I’m not sure he even knows that pinch hitting is a thing you’re allowed to do in baseball.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM

If he also doesn’t know about sac bunts, double switches, and IBBs…I can live without pinch hitters

• SmackSaw - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM

You do know he managed the Phillies for four years?

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Yes…and?

• SmackSaw - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM

And he knows the difference between sac bunts, double switches, and IBBs and pinch hitters. I’m going to assume you’re being sarcastic. Yeah, that’s it. Nobody’s that stupid. LOL! Good one.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Yes…it was sarcasm…but sincere sarcasm.

• lovesmesomeme - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Your absolutely right let’s get on the phone with him and tell him not to show up for the interview. Let’s drag TLR out of the bar and beg him to get into his white van and come back or we hire the Latin guy who coaches third base Jose something or other

• JBerardi - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:06 PM

“You do know he managed the Phillies for four years?”

And he wasn’t a good tactical manager then, either.

2. SmackSaw - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM

The way Boston imploded, he really should take some time off.

3. smackingfools - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Party time!

4. cintiphil - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I think he knows the difference between the leagues. He has experience in all kinds of baseball just growing up. IF he never played or managed in the NL, I am sure that he has an idea on pinch hitting, double switches, and bunts and so on. Who knows if he will be a fit in St. Lou? They will have to determine that in the interview. I would like to see him in Cinti.

5. tophermike - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM

still would prefer they give Oquendo a shot. give him a 1 year deal (helps sign Albert) and see how he does. he may be just what the club needs…

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I would also like to see Oquendo get a shot….but you can’t sign a guy to a 1 yr deal as his first contract….that immediately undermines your authority…players have to view managers/coaches as permanent fixtures.

• SmackSaw - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM

You know that it used to be normal practice to give managers only one year contracts? Walter Alston had 23 one year contracts.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Your right Smack Saw. TLR also operated on (1) year deals for about the last 5 – 7 years he was in in St. Louis. I think in this case however, you need to show your confidence in Oquendo by signing him to a 3 year deal. If it doesn’t work out…so be it. But there is a reason he has been groomed for this over the last several years. Do the right thing and promote the Man. If it helps with signing A.P. great. But regardless…I think it needs to be done. Really hoping all these intereviews are mere formalities and Jose ultimately gets the job.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM

It used to be common practice to give players 1 yr contracts, because no other team was allowed to offer them one. A lot of things used to be common practice because people couldn’t do anything about it….in today’s game, a 1 yr deal for a new manager is like slapping an interim tag on his title.

6. halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Am I the only one that thinks that it may behoove Francona to take a year off from managing, given what happened in Boston last year? Maybe he needs to have his batteries recharged.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Leaving Boston (the organization and over-the-top knee-jerk media) is enough recharge anyone’s batteries….compared to life as the Red Sox manager, being the Cardinals managers is downright relaxing.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM

I am very familiar with Tito. He managed the Phillies for a few years, as you know. He lets players get away with murder in the clubhouse. I can remember hearing the reports in Philly that win or lose, he had a relaxed clubhouse, with large buffets. Players joking around. Didn’t matter if they lost. He wanted to be everybody’s buddy.

Not my kind of manager. If I were the Cards, I wouldn’t want any part of him.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Dude….every team has a buffet after every game…that isn’t the manager’s domain….and regular season losses are no big deal…every team is going to have at least 50 of them and probably more than 60…you can’t approach every game like it is life and death…that will wear out a team mentally/emotionally.

In Boston there were zero reported problems for 7.8 yrs…then the team collapses (mostly due to injuries), and suddenly he can’t manage a clubhouse.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:35 AM

paper,

Every team has a buffet in the clubhouse? Not then. I know for a fact from the Phillies beat reporters that Tito was the one who pushed the buffet issue in the clubhouse. Before him, this was non-existent. And this was from the guys that followed the team for years.

Besides that, I could have had a monkey manage that Red Sox team and they would have won. Are you kidding me? With all that talent they had/have.

Tito is a milk toast manager. Everyone knows it. Philly knew it and got rid of him. The Phillies had to hire Larry Bowa to gain control back in the clubhouse. Now, Boston fans know it. He lost control of his clubhouse, and allowed guys to drink during the game and screw around. This is irrefutable.

• JBerardi - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM

“I know for a fact from the Phillies beat reporters”

I’m not sure you even know what a fact is.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM

JBerardi,

Simple question: Why are you trying to start shit again?

• lovesmesomeme - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Halladays right JB he has been both of the clubhouses in Boston and Philly and is intimate with the inner workings of the buffet scene as well as the reason Tito was let go in Philly. Leave him alone and stop starting stuff

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I couldn’t agree more. My guess…after the time spent in Boston (and the subsequent fallout)…he is still a little “punch drunk” so to speak. The time off could do him some good. If he manages though…I am hoping he follows Theo to Chicago.

7. cur68 - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM

Guy came within 1 win of the post season with a rotation that had Lackey & Matsuzaka in it; an infield where his 3rd baseman had a growing sports hernia, his 1st baseman was not exactly spry; and the bullpen had and a set up man who thought the strike zone was hitting the Durham Bull between the horns. I bet he’d be thrilled to work with an organization like the Cards. He’s got all off season to get over the Sox. I hope he gets the job.

• uyf1950 - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:36 AM

He came within 2 games. One game only would have gotten the Sox into a “play in” game against the Rays.

• cur68 - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Fair enough. But I’m sure you’ll appreciate that “1 game of a 1 game playoff/playin” doesn’t exactly roll off the old keyboard?

8. stlouis1baseball - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM

This is getting ridiculous. PROMOTE THE CURRENT THRID BASE COACH AND SIGN HIM TO A THREE YEAR CONTRACT!!! I am really hoping the Organization is ultimately going to do this and all this other stuff is just window dressing. DO IT NOW!

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:34 AM

I have no problem with them having a thorough process to choose a manager…..though, like you, I am strongly rooting for Jose to get the job at the end of the process….in the end, they will have had infinitely more information on which to base their decision than we will have to judge it….so…even though I have my biased preferences…I am just hoping they make a good decision.

• 78mu - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, if they aren’t going to ask the Rays for permission to speak to Maddon they should go with Jose.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Wow man. Chill, bask in the glory of your World Series Championship. It’s not even Christmas yet and you’re already hyperventilating about next season. What’s the point of that great post-season run if it wears off in less than a week?

9. okwhitefalcon - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I’ve got to say this process (along with the Albert situation) has me a bit unsettled – leaving Mo and Dewitt to their own devices scares the hell outta me.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Agreed 100%….I try not to think about it. It helps to go to MLB.com and watch the condensed versions of games 6 and 7. :-)

• okwhitefalcon - Nov 8, 2011 at 4:10 PM

That may very will be my next avenue, I’ve youtubed almost every fan shot vid of “Freese walkoff homer” possible along with “Rangers fan reaction” – those two ease the anxiety to a degree.

I always come back to Dewitt and Mo sitting in an office mulling over that 110 million dollar payroll they’re projecting and what ‘”low hanging fruit” they’ll have as the next field manager.

10. spudchukar - Nov 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Pretty much in agreement here. Hope Oquendo is the new skipper. Keeping Duncan and Pettini might also be wise. A little stability, some sage advice, and gravitas. Plus it would take some of the pressure off a 48 year old who will have to exert himself, with the strong presence of established stars, Holliday, Berkman, Pujols and Molina.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM

I would like to see this situation as well….though the Cardinal veterans (as a group) seem to be more team first than me first.

• spudchukar - Nov 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM

My only concern with Oquendo will be how tough he will be when the situation arises. You are correct about the make-up of their stars, but whether you like TLR or not his presence was not something you challenged. Oquendo still has to prove himself. Hope he gets the chance.

• paperlions - Nov 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Oh….there was no doubt about who was in charge when TLR was around….and that was a good thing, he wasn’t the best at managing inter-personal relationships or getting guys to buy in…but you always knew who was 100% charge.

11. okwhitefalcon - Nov 8, 2011 at 4:21 PM

For sure spud, would love to see Oquendo although I’m just certain he has the presence that his team will take on and be a reflection of.

Love or hate TLR, he was the undeniable leader of the franchise.

Big shoes to fill but hardly unfillable.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4004)