Nov 8, 2011, 12:55 PM EST
Jon Heyman reports that the Giants are no longer going to try to re-sign Carlos Beltran. Because when you add an .809 OPS outfielder like Melky Cabrera and take away a .910 OPS outfielder like Beltran, your severe offensive problems are all better.
Oh, I don’t know. I’m just being mean. I’m sure they have their reasons. Spending money on someone like Jose Reyes could be a reason. We don’t know. The point is, Beltran is now going someplace else. Probably Boston, if everyone who thinks they know a little bit about this sort of thing can be believed.
That makes two rent-a-player situations in Beltran’s career. With the 2004 Astros and the 2011 Giants. he hit well in both of them. Really darn well in 2004, but better than most people realized this past season too. Oh well. Some people are meant to be transitional figures, I suppose.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)