Nov 8, 2011, 12:55 PM EDT
Jon Heyman reports that the Giants are no longer going to try to re-sign Carlos Beltran. Because when you add an .809 OPS outfielder like Melky Cabrera and take away a .910 OPS outfielder like Beltran, your severe offensive problems are all better.
Oh, I don’t know. I’m just being mean. I’m sure they have their reasons. Spending money on someone like Jose Reyes could be a reason. We don’t know. The point is, Beltran is now going someplace else. Probably Boston, if everyone who thinks they know a little bit about this sort of thing can be believed.
That makes two rent-a-player situations in Beltran’s career. With the 2004 Astros and the 2011 Giants. he hit well in both of them. Really darn well in 2004, but better than most people realized this past season too. Oh well. Some people are meant to be transitional figures, I suppose.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 34
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)