The Nats are making a “major push” for Roy Oswalt

Nov 8, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

oswalt getty Getty Images

It seems that pitching is on everyone’s mind in the early offseason, and according to Ken Rosenthal, the Nationals are planning a “major push” for Roy Oswalt.

Oswalt makes a lot of sense for the Nationals. He’d be a much heavier rotation anchor than he might be for other teams, relatively speaking.

Could be a financial anchor too, if the Nats decided to give him a traditional multi-year deal, what with his back on the verge of going kaplooey at any moment. But that’s the sort of thing you do when you’re trying to get over the hump like the Nats are.  All things being equal, Oswalt probably tries to go to a winner. The Nats have to make things not-equal.

1. uyf1950 - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:09 AM

…and I quote “The Nats have to make things not-equal.” Isn’t the only way to do that money and years. And they already have a lot of that tied up in Jason Werth.

2. dmccarrie - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:16 AM

This wouldn’t seem like a very logical move for the Nats. If you overpay money and years for Oswalt you MIGHT get a good injury free season out of him but they’ll be overpaying for a guy for really no good reason.

The Nats with Oswalt aren’t going to overtake the Phillies or Braves next season with the other pieces they have.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM

I beg to differ. I strongly believe if the Nats pick up Oswalt, they have a good shot at coming in second in the NL east. Strausbionic version 2012 will be back too.

• kinggw - Nov 8, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I wouldnt be so sure about that. The Phillies are old as dirt and will start to decline soon. Furthermore, Rollins probably wont be back and Howard is going to miss significant time. The Nats did pretty good last year considering their big free agent acquisition was a bust, their best player was plagued by injuries the entire season and their ace didnt pitch until the end of the season. All of that, and they only finished a game under .500. I think next year with Strasburg,Wang and another quality arm, the Nats will be in the hunt.

3. halladaysbiceps - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I said many times it would be a mistake for the Phillies not to re-sign Roy Oswalt. He’s not going to break the bank with anyone and should be given the opportunity to give it another run with the Phillies. I know the risks with his back. I think he’s worth taking the risk on.

Put it this way, I would give him Madson’s money. I would rather have a starter like Oswalt, even with the risk, as opposed to an overpaid closer.

• Alex K - Nov 8, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I couldn’t agree with the last two sentences more. Closers are much more replaceable than starters. Say Oswalt breaks down and can’t handle a starter’s workload, he could shift to the bullpen.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Oswalt has failed in relief situations I’ve seen. Although I usually follow the same train of thought, I don’t agree this time, in this situation. Madson is worth closer money, and the Phillies need a good closer. I like Bastardo, but he looked kind of shaky down the stretch. I let Roy walk unless he’s going to give me a discount to stay, and it doesn’t interfere with keeping Madson.

• Alex K - Nov 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM

I bet the sample size you’re talking about with Oswalt is tiny. If a guy is a good starter he can be a good reliever.

4. SmackSaw - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM

The Nationals have loads of cash and will at least challenge. The Braves aren’t what we thought they were (apologies to Dennis Green). They have a lineup full of power. They have Harper and Strasburg. Oswalt is the type of veteran pick up that teams trying to contend get. It infuses the attitude that management is willing to be aggressive. Hell. they overpaid Werth. They have to do something. If they throw an ungodly amount at Oswalt, as ‘major push’ would seem to imply, he’ll move. Davey Johnson will get what he wants while his limited window is open.

5. Francisco (FC) - Nov 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Oz wanted to be traded to a contender in 2010, the Nationals have improved but its doubtful they can go “over the hump” in 2012… not saying it can’t happen, but the ride is very uphill. Even if the Phillies don’t win 100 next year you figure they will win between 92-96 games with their 3 good starters and good rotation depth and a decent if unspectacular lineup. Atlanta can’t be ignored. They just added through subtraction by finally getting rid of Lowe. A full season of Michael Bourn in leadoff will do wonders (if he seriously takes off start to hear quips from Craig regarding “The Bourn Supremacy, or the Bourn Ultimatum”). Even the Marlins can’t be ignored if they’re looking to make an off-season splash (they’ve already made a color splash…). Only the Mets look like cellar dwellers for 2012 (Confirmed by people who work for them… yikes).

The Nats can’t possibly be an attractive option for a man who, despite being just 33, is in the twilight of his career thanks to two herniated disks in his back and is looking to win that ring before he retires.

6. Francisco (FC) - Nov 8, 2011 at 12:10 PM

The more thought I put into it, the more I think the Nats would be better served by a “major push” at someone like C.J. Wilson. You want to make a splash? Go all the way!

7. dcfan4life - Nov 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM

The Nats won 80 games this year fellas, 12 more than last year, and 24 more than the year before. All that with what most would agree was no true starting pitcher (strasburg was out most of this year and didnt play much last year either), no big bat, and a no name bullpen. Sounds a lot like the Devil Rays doesnt it. Difference is the Nationals made it very clear they will overpay for talent because they know it will be hard to leap frog the Braves and Phillies. I am not sure they even need to with an amazing farm system. But as the Pirates have shown, a great farm system doesnt always lead to success.

• dan1111 - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM

The Pirates farm system was ranked 19th by BA for 2011. So far, they have only shown that a below-average farm system doesn’t always lead to success.

Three legends off to Cooperstown