Nov 9, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
The Angels’ decision to trade for Vernon Wells‘ massive contract was bad enough when he was performing horribly, but now his presence on the team (and $21 million salary in each of the next three seasons) might keep stud prospect Mike Trout in the minors.
Sam Miller of the Orange County Register connected some dots between recent comments made by manager Mike Scioscia and MLB.com reporter Lyle Spencer, both of which suggest Trout will be spending at least the beginning of 2012 at Triple-A.
Trout is only 20 years old and jumped directly from Double-A to the majors, so some time at Triple-A isn’t necessarily a bad thing. However, based purely on talent and likely 2012 value Trout would be in the Angels’ lineup on Opening Day.
Instead they’ll have Wells in left field, Peter Bourjos in center field, Torii Hunter in right field, and Bobby Abreu at designated hitter. Wells and Abreu will combine to make $30 million in 2012, while Trout could probably out-play both of them for $400,000.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)