Nov 9, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
The Angels’ decision to trade for Vernon Wells‘ massive contract was bad enough when he was performing horribly, but now his presence on the team (and $21 million salary in each of the next three seasons) might keep stud prospect Mike Trout in the minors.
Sam Miller of the Orange County Register connected some dots between recent comments made by manager Mike Scioscia and MLB.com reporter Lyle Spencer, both of which suggest Trout will be spending at least the beginning of 2012 at Triple-A.
Trout is only 20 years old and jumped directly from Double-A to the majors, so some time at Triple-A isn’t necessarily a bad thing. However, based purely on talent and likely 2012 value Trout would be in the Angels’ lineup on Opening Day.
Instead they’ll have Wells in left field, Peter Bourjos in center field, Torii Hunter in right field, and Bobby Abreu at designated hitter. Wells and Abreu will combine to make $30 million in 2012, while Trout could probably out-play both of them for $400,000.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 11
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 115
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)