Nov 9, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT
Whatever bad blood there was between agent Scott Boras and the Diamondbacks over the Willie Bloomquist situation was short-lived, as Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that Arizona has re-signed the veteran utility man to a two-year, $3.8 million contract.
Boras said earlier this week that the Diamondbacks were upset with Bloomquist for declining his half of a $1.1 million mutual option for 2012, so they acted quickly to re-sign fellow utility man John McDonald to a two-year deal instead. Or as Boras put it: “They got emotional and they went out and signed a guy who hit .169.”
Now that “guy who hit.169″ is Bloomquist’s teammate again.
And ultimately Bloomquist was obviously smart to decline the $1.1 million option, because he got a 72 percent salary bump and an extra year of guaranteed money at age 34. Must have been the .657 OPS.
Bloomquist was pushed into regular action at shortstop this year because of Stephen Drew‘s injury, but the plan for 2012 likely involves him filling a more typical bench role. McDonald is now somewhat redundant, although his value is almost strictly from middle infield defense whereas Bloomquist is at least a somewhat useful hitter and will be used all over the diamond. Still, that’s a lot of money to invest in a pair of banjo-hitting mid-30s utility men.
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 4
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 5
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 22
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- The Astros lost in spectacular fashion last night 26
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges