Nov 9, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
UPDATE: Not so fast, apparently. Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors reports that the Yomiuri Giants have been in contact with Hermida, but no contract has actually be signed.
Jeremy Hermida was once a top prospect for the Marlins, ranking fourth on Baseball America‘s list of the best prospects in the game back in 2006, but he never developed beyond a decent role player and now he’s headed to Japan at age 27.
Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker passes along a Japanese report that Hermida has signed with the Yomiuri Giants, who this year had former major leaguers Brian Bannister, Seth Greisinger, Jonathan Albaladejo, Michael Nakamura, Alex Ramirez, Rusty Ryal, and Josh Fields on their roster.
Hermida spent most of this season at Triple-A in the Reds’ system, hitting .319 with17 homers and a .924 OPS in 105 games, and also played 30 games in the majors with Cincinnati and San Diego. He’s a career .257 hitter with a .749 OPS, so there certainly could be a place for him as a part-time player on a lot of teams, but Hermida can make more money in Japan and has a chance to become a star there while he’s still relatively young.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)