Nov 9, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
UPDATE: Not so fast, apparently. Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors reports that the Yomiuri Giants have been in contact with Hermida, but no contract has actually be signed.
Jeremy Hermida was once a top prospect for the Marlins, ranking fourth on Baseball America‘s list of the best prospects in the game back in 2006, but he never developed beyond a decent role player and now he’s headed to Japan at age 27.
Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker passes along a Japanese report that Hermida has signed with the Yomiuri Giants, who this year had former major leaguers Brian Bannister, Seth Greisinger, Jonathan Albaladejo, Michael Nakamura, Alex Ramirez, Rusty Ryal, and Josh Fields on their roster.
Hermida spent most of this season at Triple-A in the Reds’ system, hitting .319 with17 homers and a .924 OPS in 105 games, and also played 30 games in the majors with Cincinnati and San Diego. He’s a career .257 hitter with a .749 OPS, so there certainly could be a place for him as a part-time player on a lot of teams, but Hermida can make more money in Japan and has a chance to become a star there while he’s still relatively young.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)