Jorge Posada confirms he won’t be back with Yankees

Nov 9, 2011, 10:55 PM EDT

posada wide getty Getty Images

This will come as no surprise to anyone with a basic knowledge of the Yankees’ roster. But, alas…

According to the AP, via NBCSports.com, free agent Jorge Posada said Wednesday before an annual dinner for his charitable foundation that he will not be back with the Yankees for the 2012 season.

Posada also told reporters that he hasn’t completely ruled out retirement, though he has already drawn free agent interest from “five to six” MLB teams.

“I feel I’m undecided,” said Posada. “I don’t know if I want to play. I don’t know if I want to stay home. I’m having fun with the kids and with the family, but I don’t know what I want to do. I don’t want to make the mistake of telling you that I’m not going to play or telling you that I’m going to play when I don’t know what I want to do. … I will always be a Yankee.”

Posada batted just .235/.315/.398 in 387 plate appearances this season. He is no longer a capable catcher and probably shouldn’t be signed as anything more than a part-time designated hitter. But the 40-year-old could probably find an incentives-based major league contract if he truly wants to continue his career.

The Yanks will turn DH duties over to a combination of Jesus Montero, Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter.

1. presidentmiraflores - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM

I think Jorge will retire, spend more time with his kids and on his charity, and Yankees fans will always remember what he has done fondly.

See you at Old Timers Day, Jorgie!

2. mdpickles - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:13 PM

The Nationals could use a catcher to pair with Pudge. Too soon?

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Yes…entirely too soon. It will always be too soon for that comment.

3. pisano - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM

The writings been on the wall for quite sometime, what Jorge has to decide is if he wants to retire a life long Yankee or lower himself to hooking on with a non contender and go out that way. I feel he’ll retire a Yankee, there will most likely be things the Yankees will create for him other than playings. The Yankees take care of their good soldiers in one way or another, at least the Boss always did.

• uyf1950 - Nov 10, 2011 at 5:31 AM

A wise man once said “you can’t relive the past, all you can do is remember it”. While the temptation I’m sure still is there for Posada to play sometimes it’s best to say it’s someone else’s time.

4. thenoblefacehumper - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Ah, I knew this was coming. Still hard to swallow though. One of the best hitting catchers of all time. You will be missed, Jorge.

5. yankeesfanlen - Nov 10, 2011 at 7:50 AM

Jorge’s 17 years of service are greatfully acknowledged by Yankee fans. Most people would be glad to retire at 40rather than drag out a tortured encore.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM

At the risk of sounding off a cliche: Posada is not most people. Different motivations and all that…

• aceshigh11 - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Well no MLB player is “most people”…they’re not motivated by the same things.

If they were, they’d retire at 35 after banking $10-20 million and live off the money, but they’re driven by ego, pride, achievement, etc.

6. Kanonen80 - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:00 AM

In the event that Posada DOESN’T retire, might he be a fit for the Twins? He’d probably be looking for a “make good” deal to prove he can still play, and would find plenty of at-bats at Catcher and DH (maybe even 1B if he’s willing) with the Twins as they get Mauer and Morneau healthy. He’d also be a veteran presence in a clubhouse that is losing their ‘leader’ in Michael Cuddyer.

Might be a way to replace some of Cuddy’s production at a fraction of the cost, while providing insurance for Mauer.

7. bravojawja - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Why would another team want him — and why would another team’s fans welcome him — if he “will always be a Yankee”?

8. randygnyc - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Why would they want him? Well, these are the same teams that turn their heads away and sign wife beaters, murder suspects, drug abusers, PED cheaters and other various criminals. Posada has been an outstanding player and a wonderful citizen. Teams can do MUCH worse.

9. Old Gator - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Posada’s “confirmation” that he wouldn’t be back with the Borg was slightly overshadowed by the “confirmation” that Joe Paterno wouldn’t be coaching this weekend. Duelling shock values.

10. Derty Ernie - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Jorge you had a great run. The Yanks will remember you and miss you and likewise. Time to hang up the cleats you think?

11. 1historian - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM

In the world of pro sports there is perhaps nothing as sad as watching someone who was once great and who no longer is dragging himself through a few more years.
    First it is sad, and then if it drags on it gets annoying. I.E. Brett Favre

Mr. Posada – in your prime you were one of the best. But your prime has passed. Your stats are bad they can only get worse, so please just go play with your kids.

FYI – I am NOT a Yankee fan.

12. whatthehellisansky - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Jorgie – speaking as a yankee fan – do us and yourself a favor and hang em up.

Go out on your own terms. You dont need the money, and you wouldnt want to run the risk of tarnishing your yankee legacy as a part-time player with another team.

I personally thought it was all over when he threw his little tantrum over batting ninth a few months back…the yankees had to deal with it because he is who he is (a true yankee who has helped us win multiple championships)…another organization would have cut him on the spot.

13. foreverchipper10 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:13 PM

Hip hip Jor-ge!

14. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 10, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Jorge, go out there and be the shortstop the Braves need. You can do it. Best of luck to you.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3277)