Marlins met with Jose Reyes on Wednesday in Miami

Nov 9, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT

jose reyes getty Getty Images

If the Marlins’ interest in Jose Reyes wasn’t already being taken seriously, it certainly should be now.

According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, the free agent shortstop met with Marlins officials on Wednesday afternoon in south Florida, dining at the famous Joe’s Stone Crab and taking a tour of the club’s nearly-completed ballpark in Little Havana.

No offer was made, but that could come as we move closer to December’s MLB Winter Meetings.

Reyes has already drawn serious interest from a half-dozen teams and is likely to command bids in the area of $100 million. That would normally be out of Florida’s price range, but the organization is suddenly optimistic about having consistently strong attendance numbers and opening new revenue streams.

Signing Reyes would probably mean moving Hanley Ramirez to third base or center field.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 9, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I don’t really see a reason for the Marlins to sign him, other than maybe to sell some more tickets. They’re more than a Jose Reyes away from contention so I’d have to assume there’s more moves in the works. If not than this won’t be money well spent

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:34 PM

If the Marlins sign Reyes and move Hanley to third base, they’re going to lead the league in doubles down the third base line and wild throws to first base. A corner outfield spot – left, I think – would be much better for Hanley. Let’s see if he can find second and third base with his throws more consistently than he would find first. Logan Morrison will be gone. You can count on it. They don’t like him very much upstairs, especially Beinfest – he’s got a big virtual mouth and frankly, he’s just not that good, really. He’s a terrible situational hitter.

At this point, though, I would rather see them sign Buehrle and go find a real third baseman, especially a good contact hitter. Power, they got.

2. shrimpking55 - Nov 9, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Don’t you think bringing in Jose Reyes and possibly adding a starting pitcher can bring in some bargain role players.
    Line-up

Rotation
    Josh Joshnson
    Sanchez
    Nolasco
    Vazquez
    Possibly Buerhle

I think this team can be a sleeper. They’ve done it before.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 9, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Wow, there is some wild assumptions in your projections…Omar Infante 15-20 HR’s? Gabby Sanchez 25-30 HR while hitting .300? I mean, I guess everybody could have a career year that wildly exceeds their previous production at the exact same time.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Part of that may be based on the bandbox dimensions of Macondo Banana Massacre Field. Even so, the power numbers suggested are pretty excessive for everyone except the Iron Giant. You could subtract five or six dingers from everyone else’s hallucinatory stats and add them to his, and stand a much better chance of being right.

3. shrimpking55 - Nov 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM

His career average is .275, has not hit below that since 07. His homeruns was wishful thinking, had him confused. I had his homeruns mistaken.
    I think that your comment that it’s only a put people in the seats move can be said for any big name free agent. Coglan was not the same the last 2 years, not dependable. Adding Reyes puts one of the best lead offs in the game and the team instantly has a solid middle defensively.
    My only concern is – Ramirez being the Diva he is, is he going to be ok with it. If he’s not, if I were the Marlins I’d consider trading him. He can be a top 5 player the league if he plays to his potential.
    Just my thought, it will be interesting how him and Guillen will get along.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM

I don’t see Slobbering Ozzie getting along with Hanley all that well; the Hanster is just not the same kind of krazy as Motormouth’s good and faithful buddy, Krazy Karlos.

Meanwhile the Feesh chaperoned Buehrle around the new feeshbowl today too. I think he matters more in the long run than Reyes does.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Incidentally, word just came down that Joe Paterno has been summarily fired along with the President of Penn State. Not that this has anything to do with Hanley, Reyes or anything else baseball-related, but even though I agree with bouncing him for his incomprehensible lassitude in dealing with what is really a despicable crime, it’s an awful way to end a legendary career. What a de casibus story.

4. foreverchipper10 - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Are they trying to go back to their speed kills days with Reyes and Hanley as the new Juan Pierre and Luis Castillo wreaking havoc on the basepaths? Even so they have much larger holes to fill than SS. That is the one area on the team I would think is solid save Stanton.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS