Nov 9, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Gator bait, courtesy of Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald:
Marlins prez David Samson “we’re going to be drawing 30,000 to 35,000 every single game” in new ballpark
Maybe the novelty of the new park will change the game. And of course if the Feesh do go on a big spending spree and land some free agents there could be legitimate excitement. But it’s worth noting that the Marlins have averaged 30,000 fans a game or more only twice in their history: 1993 and 1994. And it’s still a team that finished 30 games out of first place.
But hey, optimism.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 10
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 47
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)