Matt Kemp’s agent optimistic about ongoing extension talks

Nov 9, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT

matt kemp getty long Getty Images

Matt Kemp‘s agent, former major league pitcher Dave Stewart, had this to say Wednesday about his ongoing negotiations with the Dodgers’ front office concerning a contract extension for his client (via ESPN L.A.):

“I don’t think that it’s going to be difficult, I really don’t,” Stewart said. “I think we should be able to come to something. I have talked with [general manager Ned Colletti] on a few occasions. We have covered some ground, and hopefully, we will be able to put this thing to bed soon.”

Kemp, who batted .324 with a fantastic .986 OPS, 39 home runs, 126 RBI and 40 stolen bases in 161 games this year, is set to become a free agent at the conclusion of the 2012 season. The Dodgers obviously want to lock him up before he gets a whiff of the open market, but they face a teetering ownership situation and an up-in-the-air budget.

While Stewart’s optimism is refreshing, it’s safe to wonder what exactly Colletti and Co. can actually afford to commit to right now. If Kemp is to be paid the market rate, an extension could surpass $100 million.

1. mondzy805 - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Pay the man. Kershaw too. Who ever ends up buying the Dodgers must know this too. Go Blue.

• andrebeingandre16 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:44 AM

#BEASTMODE

2. uyf1950 - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Drew, “could surpass $100M”? If it doesn’t Kemp would be extremely foolish to sign an extension.
    But you’re probably right any “large” expenditure which that would surely qualify as I would think someone other then the current Dodgers Management team would have to approve it, while the bankruptcy and anticipated sale of the team is ongoing.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Dave Stewart is an agent these days? Huh, who knew.

4. Old Gator - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:46 PM

It’s good to have an agent who knows how to pitch.

Incidentally, is anyone else having problems with this site via Google Chrome? I’ve virus- and malware- scrubbed, re-downloaded Chrome, rebooted the goddamned computer twice and I’m still having problems opening the pages; Explorer is working fine, though, and Chrome doesn’t seem to be having issues with any other sites.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:51 PM

I had the exact same problem awhile back. Here is what I did to solve the problem and it has worked ever since….straight from google.support:
      To create a new user profile, follow these steps:

Exit Chrome.
      Find the “Default” folder. It’s usually located in the following locations:
      Windows

Windows XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\
      Windows Vista and Windows 7: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\
      Mac OS X: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default

Linux: ~/.config/google-chrome/Default

Rename the folder as “Backup default.”
      Restart Chrome.

• Old Gator - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Doc – worked fine, thanks. Problems solved. Others: thanks for the input. No geek, I.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Matt Kemp thread.

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Gator; I’ve recently had issue with slow script running and crashes due to flashplayer. Turned out to be the browser I was using. A beta version of Safari. I’ve switched to firefox and now have no problem. If DrMonkey’s suggestion doesn’t work for you, you can have a go with Mozzila Firefox.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2011 at 8:32 AM

For weeks I was having issues with Firefox, it would freeze if I clicked on any post. I still use XP and Explorer 8 (the last XP version) is horrible, but it was working on that….I eventually decided to just switch to chrome as my primary browser and haven’t had any problems….I’ll try doc’s suggestion and see if that fixes Firefox.

• foreverchipper10 - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM

An agent who knows how to pitch. I see what you did there. Well played sir.

5. vikesfansteve - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Dave Stewart !?

Dave Stewart had his share of personal problems throughout his career, but this has got to be the highlight. After police observed him soliciting a prostitute in downtown L.A., Stewart was arrested a few minutes later in a nearby alley. Also arrested was the hooker, “Lucille.” It just so happened, however, that Lucille was actually Elson Tyler, a 27-year-old 6-foot-3 unemployed laborer. ”Mr. Stewart said he was unaware that Tyler was a male until after the arrest,” Police Cmdr. William Booth said. ”That was his statement and we have reason to believe him.” Vice officers refused to give details of the incident but a police source said the transvestite was performing oral on Stewart. While the incident occured when Stewart was no longer a member of the Dodgers, this was just too good to pass up… sort of like a BJ from a 235-pound transvestite.

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:36 AM

uh, Steve, What has any of that got to do with Matt Kemp’s contract negotiations? It’s just gossip about Stewart. I dunno, man, it’s just seems like gossiping to me. Kinda puts you in the position of being the authority on the transvestite hooker BJ stories.

• vikesfansteve - Nov 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM

His competence dipshit.

• vikesfansteve - Nov 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM

gossip. Are you fuckin stupid. what you answered that already dumbass.

He was with the Rangers at the time. There is a police report.

This is the person who Kemp has negotiating his contract. Someone who doesn’t know the difference between a man or a woman.

Just like you when you piss.

Ass brain.

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 6:20 PM

Random gossip about Stewart is relevant in Kemp’s contract negotiations, eh? Since you keep an eye on the transvestite hooker BJ situation and inform all of HBT about it, do let us know if there’s a clause on it in the Kemp contract, there’s a good chap. Guess Stewart should have asked you to ID the transvestite hookers for him, eh Stevie? You the expert on that & what Stewart does when he’s not negotiating contracts :)

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey