Nov 9, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Mike Maddux removed his name from consideration for the Red Sox’s managerial opening yesterday, citing the desire to remain close to his family in Texas, but the Rangers pitching coach will go through with his scheduled interview with the Cubs today.
Chicago is obviously much closer to Dallas than Boston is, but it’s still nearly 1,000 miles away.
Maddux follows Pete Mackanin and Dave Sveum as the third candidate to interview with the Cubs and they’ll be followed by Sandy Alomar Jr. later this week.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com speculates that Maddux’s willingness to interview in Chicago after turning down the same chance in Boston could stem from the relationship his brother, Greg Maddux, has with the Cubs. Or maybe the difference between 1,000 miles and 1,750 miles is a really significant one for Maddux and his family.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15