No Hay Amigo! Jose Reyes apparently sang his free agent intentions last summer

Nov 9, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Jose Reyes Getty Images

I have no idea how I missed this, but Kevin Kernan of the New York Post notes today that Jose Reyes put a song and music video out over the summer in which, according to Kernan anyway, Reyes’ decision to do the Mets no favors in free agency was made clear:

In his song and video “No Hay Amigo’’ that was released in July, Reyes sings the following powerful words:

“There are no friends. A friend is a dollar in my pocket. As soon as you turn your back your friends want to stab you in the back. A real friend is a glass full of water in the desert to quench your thirst. … Where were you when I used to practice without any food to eat or when I used to spend a week with the same T-shirt? There are no friends. My friends are my mother and my father, the ones who struggled with me to make me who I am.’’

The Mets are no longer Reyes’ friends.

Whatever. Could be just that the concept of “No Hay Amigo” is way more stark and badass for the purposes of a popular song than “I will weigh all of the offers, determine what’s best for my professional future and take into account the good times I had in and loyalty I hold for the Mets organization as I embark on free agency.”  Even with the best flow, that would be a hard concept to get across in a song.

Here’s the video (Holy Auto-Tune, Batman!).  No matter what you can or can’t take from it with respect to Reyes’ free agency, it’s pretty fantastic all the same. And by “fantastic,” I mean “perhaps the worst song I’ve heard in two years.”

1. dan1111 - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Wow, that is one terrible song. By which I mean the first 14 seconds of it.

2. wrg885 - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Wow. I sure as hell want HIM as a member of MY organization…

3. Kyle - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:13 AM

I like the part with the cows.

4. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:30 AM

What, worse than this? XD

5. phukyouk - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM

2 years?

6. pellypell - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Where’s the damn remix ft. Nicki Minaj?

7. seannymo - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM

probably better off that you missed this…Kernan is clearly stretching this into something that it’s not just for page views and he cannot be any further from the truth. in no way does this song have anything to do with the Mets organization. considering this song was released in the summer and he only is now trying to decipher it’s meaning should be proof enough that this is a non-story.

Jose explains it all here:

• seannymo - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM

skip the the 3 minute mark

8. cur68 - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM

A thing heard cannot be unheard…no matter how much it makes your ears bleed….

9. foreverchipper10 - Nov 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I’m not your friend, buddy.

• El Bravo - Nov 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I’m not your buddy, guy!

10. davebrownspiral - Nov 9, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Mets would be wise to let the overhyped, oft-injured Reyes walk. Let some other foolish team be saddled with a six year $110 million contract. He’ll average about 120 games per year, and the last two or three years of the deal will be a nightmare, because his legs will go. Reyes was part of a losing, choke artist, inmates run the asylum culture during his tenure as a Met. A losing ball player if ever there was one. Let him walk, and build the team from the ground up.

• adenzeno - Nov 9, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Sadly, I am starting to believe that this is the truth….

• jerseybando - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Best thing that could happen for the M_ts…Addition by subtraction.

11. protius - Nov 9, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Jose Reyes is a self centered punk, just like Hanley Ramirez.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3457)