Nov 9, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Ian Stewart’s nightmare season ended in early August because of a wrist injury and Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies third baseman has yet to resume “baseball activity.”
Stewart told Renck that his wrist “is good” and he’s been lifting weights, but likely won’t be cleared to swing a bat before next week.
Even if Stewart were healthy he’d be a non-tender candidate after hitting just .156 in 48 games while spending part of the season in the minors following a demotion to Triple-A at age 26, and the wrist problems make the Rockies even more likely to cut him loose.
Stewart was once Colorado’s third baseman of the future, but through 436 games he’s hit just .236 with a .751 OPS despite calling Coors Field home and would be in line for at least $2.5 million next season via the arbitration process. If another team still sees upside in Stewart they could swoop in and pick him up in a trade, but Renck reports that the Rockies turned down a deal for him in July from the Diamondbacks.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)