Padres unveil new(ish) logos and uniforms

Nov 9, 2011, 7:58 PM EDT

The Padres gave the press a sneak peek at their new logos and uniforms Wednesday night in San Diego.

There had been some push from the Friars’ fanbase to revert back to the brown and gold uniforms of the ’70s and ’80s, but that change was deemed too drastic by the organization’s higher-ups.

They’ve simply cleaned things up, going for a more classic look while maintaining the blue-and-white scheme.

CNBC’s Darren Rovell has the goods on the logos:

source:  source:  And check this link for a picture of the new uniforms, courtesy of the North County Times‘ Dan Hayes.

1. hcf95688 - Nov 9, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Beats the hell out of what the Marlins will be wearing.

2. eagles512 - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Go back to brown and yellow

• 78mu - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:56 PM

If they go back to the brown and yellow maybe they will vie for the worst uniforms with the Marlins.

Have the Astros return to their rainbow uniforms and make it a three team race.

3. raycornwall - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Wow. Kind of awesome.

4. humanexcrement - Nov 10, 2011 at 7:50 AM

There should be a rule that you can only change your uniform once every ten years. The Rays and Nationals, and D’Backs have had more uniforms in their brief existences than the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs combined. What’s wrong with this picture?

• kellyb9 - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:28 AM

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs probably don’t have a hard time selling jerseys. I would imagine the Rays, Nats, and D’Backs do. I’m sure everytime they switch jerseys they see a spike in sales.

5. acdc363 - Nov 10, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Aw that’s so nice they let a 4 year old draw their new logo

6. winkeroni - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:07 AM

The logo is nice but I can’t help but notice that they snuck “Baseball Club” in it. I don’t know much about soccer other than it’s a little bit frustrating to watch unless it’s the women’s world cup and that teams are called FC, football club. I think this may be a brilliant move by the Padres front office to get soccer fans interested in the Padres.

• protectthishouse54 - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I noticed that as well. It’s an interesting choice since teams are rarely referred to as baseball clubs. I don’t hate it though.

7. paulsdamnblog - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM

cool look for the logos.

8. Kyle - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I love the brown and yellow, but this is pretty classic as well.

9. foreverchipper10 - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I kinda like it.

10. Robert - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:58 PM

1984 Padre Uniforms rule……

• Tyree Studio - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:31 PM

I like the retro too Robert, but these new blue/clean logos are pretty nice too.

The brown and yellow unis remind me of smooth hitting Tony G.

Once a year MLB should have 80s day or week and require the Jays, Brewers, Braves, Royals and Cardinals to wear the powder blues, SD the browns, and Houston the rainbows.

Everyday is 80s day in Miami now I guess…

• Robert - Nov 10, 2011 at 4:00 PM

TS-love the blue too.

Alan Wiggins, Tony Gywnn(Too Easy) and even Steve Garvey in his final years were fun to watch.

How about reuniting the 2011 blue with the retro 1984 Padre(Yellowish) Gold?

Orioles turn AL East on its head