Phillies “reconsidering options” with Ryan Madson deal in flux

Nov 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

ryan-madson-phillies-nlcs Getty Images

Ryan Madson‘s four-year, $44 million contract with the Phillies has not yet been approved by ownership and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that reports of the deal being completed “may have been premature.”

In fact, according to Rosenthal “the team is reconsidering its options” and might get back in touch with Jonathan Papelbon, whom they viewed as the primary fallback choice to Madson.

Most likely Madson will eventually re-sign with the Phillies, but the holdup is a weird one considering how many different sources had the two sides in agreement last night.

Assuming the deal gets done Madson will dramatically raise the bar for other free agent closers.

1. drunkenhooliganism - Nov 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I’m not renewing my tickets if they sign that clown Papelbon.

• phillyphreak - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I’ll take em….

• drunkenhooliganism - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM

the tickets or papelbon?

• phillyphreak - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Interpret how you wish- both would be okay by me.

2. bleedgreen - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM

What I saw said that after agreeing verbally, Amaro said he needed Montgomery’s OK before doing the deal.

• mox19380 - Nov 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I heard that too.
      I’m assuming what happened was Amaro went to Monty for approval and Monty said before we spend this money lets see what we can get from Papelbon’s people. Makes sense too. Force Madson’s people to sweat a little bit and do your due diligence on your all your options.

3. phatnate - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM

His agent is Scott Boras, that’s the “hangup”.

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM

This sounds like a bunch of Ruben Amaro trickery at work here. “Hey everyone look over here, while I do other stuff over there, when nobody expects it….” He’s a fox in a hen house. A ninja at night. A B-2 bomber, A, well you get it…

• phillyphreak - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Haha. I was thinking the same thing pretty much. Make everyone think closer is the priority and then bam…something else. we shall see….

5. phillyphreak - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Could a possibility be that they think they can get a 3 year deal done with Papelbon, instead of having to go 4 (maybe 5) with Madson?

I’d prefer Madson, though it’s not like Papelbon is some bum (in fact he was by most metrics better than Madson last season). But the thoughts of such a long expensive deal are not to fun….

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Bicepts called Amaro and gave him a earful. That’s why the Phillies are reconsidering LOL!

• phillyphreak - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Haha nice.

Also edit to my post *too.

6. gallaghedj311 - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I gave up my tix last year when they I’d t fire Charlie

7. uyf1950 - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Since this blog is about a Phillies pitcher I don’t think my comment is to far off the subject.

Congratulation go out to both Roy Halladay and Clayton Kershaw, Co-Wins of the 2011 NL Cy Young Award.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Where did you hear that or is this common knowledge? Sometimes I miss obvious things. For example, I just learned last night that the Yankees signed CC to an extension. Completely missed that.

• uyf1950 - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Perhaps I should have been a little clearer in my post. It’s SBN’s Award for the NL Cy Young. Sorry I wasn’t more clear.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM

???

The NL Cy Young award winner isn’t announced until Nov. 17.

• uyf1950 - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:29 PM

halladay…, see my reply just above. I should have been clearer in my original post. Sorry about that.

• halladaysbiceps - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:31 PM

SBN awards? Who votes for that? I am unfamiliar with that award.

8. plezbo - Nov 9, 2011 at 4:04 PM

I Permanently quit baseball if we pick up that good for nothing Crapelbon. Why not just resign Lidge and make him the closer again if you want a bad closer?

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. C. Gonzalez (2407)