Nov 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Ryan Madson‘s four-year, $44 million contract with the Phillies has not yet been approved by ownership and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that reports of the deal being completed “may have been premature.”
In fact, according to Rosenthal “the team is reconsidering its options” and might get back in touch with Jonathan Papelbon, whom they viewed as the primary fallback choice to Madson.
Most likely Madson will eventually re-sign with the Phillies, but the holdup is a weird one considering how many different sources had the two sides in agreement last night.
Assuming the deal gets done Madson will dramatically raise the bar for other free agent closers.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 47
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 34
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)