Nov 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Ryan Madson‘s four-year, $44 million contract with the Phillies has not yet been approved by ownership and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that reports of the deal being completed “may have been premature.”
In fact, according to Rosenthal “the team is reconsidering its options” and might get back in touch with Jonathan Papelbon, whom they viewed as the primary fallback choice to Madson.
Most likely Madson will eventually re-sign with the Phillies, but the holdup is a weird one considering how many different sources had the two sides in agreement last night.
Assuming the deal gets done Madson will dramatically raise the bar for other free agent closers.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)