Nov 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Ryan Madson‘s four-year, $44 million contract with the Phillies has not yet been approved by ownership and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that reports of the deal being completed “may have been premature.”
In fact, according to Rosenthal “the team is reconsidering its options” and might get back in touch with Jonathan Papelbon, whom they viewed as the primary fallback choice to Madson.
Most likely Madson will eventually re-sign with the Phillies, but the holdup is a weird one considering how many different sources had the two sides in agreement last night.
Assuming the deal gets done Madson will dramatically raise the bar for other free agent closers.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)