Nov 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Ryan Madson‘s four-year, $44 million contract with the Phillies has not yet been approved by ownership and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that reports of the deal being completed “may have been premature.”
In fact, according to Rosenthal “the team is reconsidering its options” and might get back in touch with Jonathan Papelbon, whom they viewed as the primary fallback choice to Madson.
Most likely Madson will eventually re-sign with the Phillies, but the holdup is a weird one considering how many different sources had the two sides in agreement last night.
Assuming the deal gets done Madson will dramatically raise the bar for other free agent closers.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 34
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 32
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 44
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)