Nov 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Ryan Madson‘s four-year, $44 million contract with the Phillies has not yet been approved by ownership and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com writes that reports of the deal being completed “may have been premature.”
In fact, according to Rosenthal “the team is reconsidering its options” and might get back in touch with Jonathan Papelbon, whom they viewed as the primary fallback choice to Madson.
Most likely Madson will eventually re-sign with the Phillies, but the holdup is a weird one considering how many different sources had the two sides in agreement last night.
Assuming the deal gets done Madson will dramatically raise the bar for other free agent closers.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)