Nov 9, 2011, 4:22 PM EST
This Ryan Madson situation is getting weird.
Last night Madson was said to be signing a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies, but this morning several reports said the deal was on hold because ownership had yet to sign off and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the two sides never actually had an agreement.
And according to Rosenthal the Nationals “could jump in” and make a play for Madson if his deal (or near-deal) with the Phillies falls apart.
That seems odd, since Washington has a young minimum-salaried closer in Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard is an elite setup man, but perhaps general manager Mike Rizzo is still shopping one of his relievers for a center fielder (Denard Span of the Twins, for example) and views Madson as an expensive replacement.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)