Nov 9, 2011, 4:22 PM EST
This Ryan Madson situation is getting weird.
Last night Madson was said to be signing a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies, but this morning several reports said the deal was on hold because ownership had yet to sign off and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the two sides never actually had an agreement.
And according to Rosenthal the Nationals “could jump in” and make a play for Madson if his deal (or near-deal) with the Phillies falls apart.
That seems odd, since Washington has a young minimum-salaried closer in Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard is an elite setup man, but perhaps general manager Mike Rizzo is still shopping one of his relievers for a center fielder (Denard Span of the Twins, for example) and views Madson as an expensive replacement.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 77
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 45
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 26
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)