Nov 9, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
This Ryan Madson situation is getting weird.
Last night Madson was said to be signing a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies, but this morning several reports said the deal was on hold because ownership had yet to sign off and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the two sides never actually had an agreement.
And according to Rosenthal the Nationals “could jump in” and make a play for Madson if his deal (or near-deal) with the Phillies falls apart.
That seems odd, since Washington has a young minimum-salaried closer in Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard is an elite setup man, but perhaps general manager Mike Rizzo is still shopping one of his relievers for a center fielder (Denard Span of the Twins, for example) and views Madson as an expensive replacement.
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 0
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 12
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 97
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)