Nov 9, 2011, 4:22 PM EST
This Ryan Madson situation is getting weird.
Last night Madson was said to be signing a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies, but this morning several reports said the deal was on hold because ownership had yet to sign off and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the two sides never actually had an agreement.
And according to Rosenthal the Nationals “could jump in” and make a play for Madson if his deal (or near-deal) with the Phillies falls apart.
That seems odd, since Washington has a young minimum-salaried closer in Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard is an elite setup man, but perhaps general manager Mike Rizzo is still shopping one of his relievers for a center fielder (Denard Span of the Twins, for example) and views Madson as an expensive replacement.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 64
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)