Nov 9, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
This Ryan Madson situation is getting weird.
Last night Madson was said to be signing a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies, but this morning several reports said the deal was on hold because ownership had yet to sign off and now Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com says the two sides never actually had an agreement.
And according to Rosenthal the Nationals “could jump in” and make a play for Madson if his deal (or near-deal) with the Phillies falls apart.
That seems odd, since Washington has a young minimum-salaried closer in Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard is an elite setup man, but perhaps general manager Mike Rizzo is still shopping one of his relievers for a center fielder (Denard Span of the Twins, for example) and views Madson as an expensive replacement.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 28
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 39
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)