Report: Wilson Ramos kidnapped from home in Venezuela

Nov 9, 2011, 8:37 PM EST

Wilson Ramos AP

From Rafael Rojas of Viva Colorado, a bilingual news source connected to the Denver Post, comes word that Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos has been kidnapped from his home in Valencia, Venezuela.

There aren’t many more details available at the moment and it might be hard to come by accurate information as this situation plays out, but we’ll pass along whatever we can find as soon as we find it.

Ramos batted .267/.334/.445 with 15 home runs and 52 RBI in 113 games this past season for the Nats. The talented 24-year-old was playing winter ball back in his native country for Tigres de Aragua BBC.

UPDATE, 8:17 PM: According to Venezuela’s El Nacional, Ramos was captured by four gunmen. The kidnappers have not yet contacted the Ramos family to seek a ransom for his release.

UPDATE, 8:37 PM: Venezula’s El Siglo says the kipnapping took place at 7:30 p.m. local time and that Ramos was with his family when captured. He was the only one taken away.

UPDATE, 10:22 PM: The president of Ramos’ Venezuelan team just spoke with the media from Ramos’ home: “Hopefully everything goes well. Prudence and moderation is important. In God’s name.”

134 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Jonny 5 - Nov 10, 2011 at 8:22 AM

If I were WIlson Ramos and I went back to Venezuela during the off season, I would not only hire armed guards, but I would also be sleeping with an AK-47 under my bed. With that said, I wish him the very best and hope he gets out of this situation unscathed very soon. This type of situation, as well as others in the news at this very moment may cause many of you to question the morality and capacity for evil acts of the human condition much more than you did in the past. And it should.

2. cintiphil - Nov 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Most of you people do not know much about the country of Venezuela. Most do not know of the problems they are having there, so lets stop the political BS, and speak about the man and the family of Ramos. They all need our support and sympathy.

My Solution: Lets send Ozzie down there with a bunch of armed Venezuelans to take out the dumb ass dictator, and restore law and order, with a government of the people! I think Ozzie is already thinking of doing just that!

• Jonny 5 - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I pulled out the baseball cards last night. I sometimes do that in the off season as I miss it, I guess.

I found Ozzie’s rookie card. Man was he skinny.

3. karaterobot - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Yeah, Venezuela sucks; you can get kidnapped there! What a shithole! Everyone should live in AMERICA! Best place ever! Where we let pedophilies rape children unchecked for decades! USA USA USA

(sarcasm hopefully obvious, but I’ll add this disclaimer)

4. kalinedrive - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM

I don’t post often, but I read this site often. I just want to say that I absolutely despise the user known as halladaysbiceps (and yes, I remember when he originally spelled it wrong and then ridiculously tried to pretend he meant to do that). This guy thinks that being forceful with his opinions makes them stronger, that repeating them makes them more factual, and that swearing at and berating anyone who disagrees makes him a man.

Biceps, I hope you find another place to rant. Take a fucking hint. Nobody likes you. Not your relatives, not your colleagues, nobody. You suck. You totally suck. I fucking hate you.

There, I’ve said it really forcefully and repeated it, just like you, so I must be right!

• seattlej - Nov 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Cheers to that. And let me add that it’s not his political views. It’s the fact that he seems to have no respect whatsoever for other people or their opinions. He is juvenile and childish (Actually, maybe he is a child?), his thought process and means of conducting a conversation remind me of a grade school bully on the playground… someone that never quite adapted to living in this world as a reasonable adult.

5. foreverchipper10 - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:46 PM

I heard about this last night but it took a back burner to the PSU/Joe Paterno situation. I am a Penn State alum. During my time there one of my roommates was from Venezuela. She rarely went home but I firmly recall the one time that she did. When she came back she told us that she was mugged and pistol whipped. She had stitches in her head. That scared the crap out of me. She is fortunate that her attackers did not escalate the situation. My thoughts and prayers go out to Wilson Ramos and his family and friends. I can only hope this ends swiftly and safely for him.

6. 18thstreet - Nov 10, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I am so glad that HB votes for different people than I do. Returning to some garbage he said on a statistically minded post: this justifies my existence as a liberal. I’m so happy.

Poor Wilson Ramos. I hope he comes out of this okay.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (3897)