Nov 9, 2011, 9:04 AM EDT
Roger Clemens is still going to go on trial for perjury eventually, and he could be in big trouble and maybe do time and all of that.
But if you have to be a criminal defendant. there are positions to be in that are way worse than watching the prosecutors have to explain to the judge why their massive screwups should not result in the government having to pay your legal fees:
The prosecutors said in a motion filed Tuesday that they regret mistakenly showing jurors inadmissible evidence and causing a mistrial this summer in their case. The government has alleged that Clemens lied about using performance-enhancing drugs.
U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton ordered another trial for next spring and invited Clemens to request the government to pay his legal expenses in connection with the aborted trial.
Someday those guys are going to have to take a hard look in the mirror and ask themselves how a guy as slimy as Clemens and as inept as Clemens’ laywer Rusty Hardin have handed them public butt-whuppins so consistently over the past year.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)