Nov 9, 2011, 9:04 AM EDT
Roger Clemens is still going to go on trial for perjury eventually, and he could be in big trouble and maybe do time and all of that.
But if you have to be a criminal defendant. there are positions to be in that are way worse than watching the prosecutors have to explain to the judge why their massive screwups should not result in the government having to pay your legal fees:
The prosecutors said in a motion filed Tuesday that they regret mistakenly showing jurors inadmissible evidence and causing a mistrial this summer in their case. The government has alleged that Clemens lied about using performance-enhancing drugs.
U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton ordered another trial for next spring and invited Clemens to request the government to pay his legal expenses in connection with the aborted trial.
Someday those guys are going to have to take a hard look in the mirror and ask themselves how a guy as slimy as Clemens and as inept as Clemens’ laywer Rusty Hardin have handed them public butt-whuppins so consistently over the past year.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 32
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 25
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 35
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 220
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)