Nov 9, 2011, 9:04 AM EST
Roger Clemens is still going to go on trial for perjury eventually, and he could be in big trouble and maybe do time and all of that.
But if you have to be a criminal defendant. there are positions to be in that are way worse than watching the prosecutors have to explain to the judge why their massive screwups should not result in the government having to pay your legal fees:
The prosecutors said in a motion filed Tuesday that they regret mistakenly showing jurors inadmissible evidence and causing a mistrial this summer in their case. The government has alleged that Clemens lied about using performance-enhancing drugs.
U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton ordered another trial for next spring and invited Clemens to request the government to pay his legal expenses in connection with the aborted trial.
Someday those guys are going to have to take a hard look in the mirror and ask themselves how a guy as slimy as Clemens and as inept as Clemens’ laywer Rusty Hardin have handed them public butt-whuppins so consistently over the past year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)