Nov 9, 2011, 9:04 AM EDT
Roger Clemens is still going to go on trial for perjury eventually, and he could be in big trouble and maybe do time and all of that.
But if you have to be a criminal defendant. there are positions to be in that are way worse than watching the prosecutors have to explain to the judge why their massive screwups should not result in the government having to pay your legal fees:
The prosecutors said in a motion filed Tuesday that they regret mistakenly showing jurors inadmissible evidence and causing a mistrial this summer in their case. The government has alleged that Clemens lied about using performance-enhancing drugs.
U.S. District Judge Reggie Walton ordered another trial for next spring and invited Clemens to request the government to pay his legal expenses in connection with the aborted trial.
Someday those guys are going to have to take a hard look in the mirror and ask themselves how a guy as slimy as Clemens and as inept as Clemens’ laywer Rusty Hardin have handed them public butt-whuppins so consistently over the past year.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 21
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (246)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)