Nov 9, 2011, 11:19 AM EST
Assuming his reported four-year, $44 million contract eventually becomes official, as the first closer from a closer-heavy free agent class to sign Ryan Madson‘s deal would set the market extremely high for guys like Jonathan Papelbon, Francisco Rodriguez, Joe Nathan, and Francisco Cordero.
They’re surely thrilled with Madson’s deal setting the tone, but the other 29 teams can’t be thrilled with the Phillies paying $44 million for what they hope will be 275 innings or so.
In fact, Alex Speier of WEEI.com notes that Madson is the first reliever since the pre-2008 offseason to get a four-year contract and going back even further than that it’s awfully tough to find more than a few instances of a team not regretting a four-year contract given to a reliever despite all relievers who got a four-year deal being elite at the time.
That doesn’t mean the Phillies will regret giving four years to Madson, as he’s only 30 years old and one of the elite relievers in baseball going back much further than his time as a closer, but it could nudge other teams toward overpaying for older, worse closers and the trickle-down effect may even boost the asking price for top-level setup men.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 17
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 110
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (111)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)