The Marlins may offer Jose Reyes a short but lucrative contract

Nov 9, 2011, 9:30 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v New York Mets Getty Images

John Harper of the New York Daily News is reporting that the Marlins plan to offer Jose Reyes a three-year contract with a high annual salary. Like, north of $20 million a year.

That’s way shorter than your typical high-end free agent normally wants to sign, but give the Marlins points for creativity. And maybe it works on Reyes’ ego to say he’s the highest paid shortstop in the game.

We don’t really know what motivates these guys.  Personally I always think that it has to be miserable to be an injured or useless albatross of a player at the end of a long-term deal, so the idea of a shorter big dollar deal appeals on some basic level. But really, ~$60 million ain’t $100 million, and that extra dough in years five and six probably go a long way to making a fellow cool about being an albatross.

1. sdelmonte - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Honestly, if the Mets can’t match that just from the money coming off the books from the Beltran and Perez contracts, then they might as well close up shop.

But I also can’t see Jose taking that short a deal. Even if that is exactly the kind of deal I think should be made to any player with his bat and his injury history.

2. Old Gator - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM

If I’m Reyes – which I promise to stop being as soon as the first few checks hit my bank account since I’m not a conspicuous consumer – I stall this until I see if one of them albatross rookery deals is in the immediate offing, then I grab that and leave the Feesh to their spin doctoring.

• cur68 - Nov 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Which is exactly what I see happening. It’ll be the same way with Buehrle, Pujols & Fielder too. Loria & Co can say they tried, but no one signed. This might work best on Yoennis Cespedes, though. He’d likely take a short big money contract to show the MLB world what he can do, then ‘ho himself to the highest bidder *cough Yankees cough* in 3 years.

3. winkeroni - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I don’t know why Miami would have to pay anyone to play there. If I got to play for the Miami Marlins, I would feel like a million bucks in those new snazzy jerseys.

• bigharold - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Those snazzy things look like they lost in the competition for highway worker safty gear. Something about them being too bright and blinding drivers.

But they will look good on MLB players.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:13 AM

And at the same time, they’ll keep your dog from being hit by a car on those nights when he just wants to wander off the verge onto the pavement while he tries to decide whether to shit or not.

4. hushbrother - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Reyes is not a $20m a year player. He was over his head this year; he’s really not this good. Anyone who believes he should be paid like an elite superstar hasn’t been paying attention.

Whoever signs him will be wondering during the next few years why they aren’t getting their money’s worth when he returns to his usual good-but-not-great level of play.

5. uyf1950 - Nov 9, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Don’t see Reyes taking this kind of deal. He turns 29 in June of 2012, this is probably is one and only shot to get the most years and dollars he can. I don’t see him settling for anything less than 5 years/$90M total probably more though, and he’ll get it from some team.

• bigharold - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM

That might well be his strategy but frankly I don’t see anybody paying him that kind of money.

One can debate his ability as to whether he very good or grreat and how long he might remain so. But, he’s had a signficant DL history and that is not the kind of player that you want to give a 5 year deal to.

If I was Reyes, (and I”m not nor am I a “conspicuous consumer” unless we’re talking about Guinness), I take that and if possible try to add a couple of moderately priced option years with vesting options, if I stay healthy.

• uyf1950 - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

You’re probably right. But I look at as a matter of supply and demand. The supply of quality SS’s on the market this year is limited as best I see and the demand is or looks to be greater than the supply. That’s a receipt for overpaying.

• Old Gator - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:15 AM

You checked the price of Guinness lately, bub? It’s not cheap – not like the old days when you could walk the main highway south out of Dublin to the peat bogs and drink it directly from the spring.

• Gamera the Brave - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:32 AM

“Peat bogs”, eh?
        That explains a lot about the flavor of Guinness, and why I never developed a taste for it.
        As I was growing up, my mom kept telling me, “You stay away from peat!” As a kid, I assumed it was an admonishment against my Creepy Uncle Pete from Fresno, but now I realize that she was really trying to protect me from the evils of Guinness.

I appreciate your knowledge on this issue.

• Gamera the Brave - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM

Oh, and I have a feeling mis Gigantes will make a serious run at Reyes, since we don’t have a SS who can hit a baseball (Crawford can field, but flails around at the Mendoza Line). Reyes does not feel like the answer to me, makes me nervous, but we have had really poor luck with shortstops of late…

6. sirmateo - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

It’s a good point about the short term large dollars. I never understood fighting for the extra few years of “security”.

I also have to agree with hushbrother. He’s not worth it.

7. brucewaynewins - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I still think the Marlins will repeat the history of 1997 and 2003. They will spend big this year to win or attempt to win the World Series and then ship everyone out. I’m sure a short contract plays into this.

8. iranuke - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:34 PM

The big question he has to ask himself is what other offers are out there? If the offers are $100 million over six or seven years, then yes he should take one of the long term offers, but if the offers are in the range of $80 million over five years, it is reasonabe to take the short term offer. Right now we do not know what else is out there.

9. Joe - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Why do I see Jose Reyes comments on a Ryan Madsen story?

• brucewaynewins - Nov 9, 2011 at 5:14 PM