Yoenis Cespedes is in the best shape of his life

Nov 9, 2011, 1:40 PM EDT

Yoennis Cespedes

It’s never too early to start my favorite offseason cliche. And today we have once from a guy who may be in the best shape of ten people’s lives: Yoenis Cespedes.  From Kevin Goldstein’s latest over at Baseball Prospectus, here’s the money quote from Cespedes’ advisor, Edgar Mercedes:

“We wanted to show that he’s left Cuba, and he’s working harder than he’s ever had in his life. We wanted to show that he’s in the best shape of his life, because when he first came here, he wasn’t.”

And with that the offseason can officially begin.

(thanks to Aaron M. for pointing out my favorite turn of phrase)

1. uyf1950 - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Must we start so early in the pre-season with the “best shape of his life”?

• dondada10 - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM

*off-season

• nprakash5 - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM

If you think its pre-season then its about time, if you think its off-season then ya it probably is early :)

• natstowngreg - Nov 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Yes, we must start this early. It’s in Craig’s contract with NBC.

• uyf1950 - Nov 9, 2011 at 10:29 PM

To dondada10 and nprakash5 – not to nitpick but the definition of “pre” is and I quote: “earlier than : prior to : before : in advance : beforehand” end of quote.

I think this time of the year meets not just one of those definitions but all of them, hence “pre-season”.

But if your prefer “off season” I can live with that as well.

2. Kyle - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

A Tradition Unlike Any Other.

3. sdelmonte - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Wow. I had December 1 in the pool. Who had today?

• cur68 - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM

The second I saw Yoenis’s work out video I knew it was mere hours away from being said. And so, like the bugle calling the horses to the gate for the start of the race, the post season BSOL articles have officially begun for this season. It will end, as tradition dictates, by a svelter Sabbathia showing up having sworn off something sweet and crunchy in the spring. Now, I got December 1 for the first newly diagnosed oblique strain.

• CJ - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Sounds about right. My guess is Oswalt or another past-their prime player will strain an oblique hurrying to DC to sign another absurd contract

• sportsdrenched.com - Nov 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Is the Oblique Injury Pool for HBT Readers or actual MLB Players?

• cur68 - Nov 9, 2011 at 5:21 PM

MLB players. HBT commenter don’t get strained obliques, do they? I for one would find it hard to strain a set of muscles I use gently only 14 time/week. We get stress injury of the wrist and forearm from too much typing…which I’ve had for about a year now.

4. paperlions - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I’m in a meeting and everyone is asking why I laughed. :-)

• cur68 - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Tell ‘em you’re in the BSOL and it makes you happy.

• Bryz - Nov 9, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I’m trying to stifle my laughs in my study hall class. I hope the students don’t notice me shaking from laughter!

5. Jonny 5 - Nov 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM

And you also wouldn’t like him if he was angry…

6. The Common Man - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM

Based on his ridiculous looking jumping, running, and lifting, it may be safe to say that Yoenis Cepedes is in the best shape of anyone’s life.

• natstowngreg - Nov 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM

At least, anyone who has not won an Olympic decatholon gold medal. Or Bo Jackson.

7. yankeesgameday - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:28 PM

Hmmm…interesting… His manager said wasn’t in such good shape recently? Sounds like someone worked out for some cash. I bet he’s the kind of guy who will only hustle in a contract year. Pretty big red flag to me, best shape or not

• JBerardi - Nov 9, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Yeah. He really should have been hitting the weight room on whatever cruise liner picked him up from Cuba. Wait, what?

8. CJ - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM

This can only mean one thing:

Edgar Mercedes is an avid HBT reader.

9. protectthishouse54 - Nov 9, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Yo-niss Suh-pee-dees? Am I saying this right?

10. oldpaddy - Nov 9, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Howard Sterns Penis!!!!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3218)