Nov 10, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
Aoki is almost 30. He hits for average — cracked 20 homers once, but usually hovers around 15 — who turns 30 in January. He has a .329 lifetime batting average and has won the Central League batting crown thrice.
I know it’s lame to compare Japanese players to other Japanese players just because they’re Japanese, but Tsuyoshi Nishioka‘s rep was being a solid contact hitter too and that has worked out fairly poorly thus far. So it’s probably not a good thing to get crazy-excited about Aoki, even if he might fit in nicely on several clubs.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 56
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 85
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 37
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 14
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (85)