Nov 10, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Aoki is almost 30. He hits for average — cracked 20 homers once, but usually hovers around 15 — who turns 30 in January. He has a .329 lifetime batting average and has won the Central League batting crown thrice.
I know it’s lame to compare Japanese players to other Japanese players just because they’re Japanese, but Tsuyoshi Nishioka‘s rep was being a solid contact hitter too and that has worked out fairly poorly thus far. So it’s probably not a good thing to get crazy-excited about Aoki, even if he might fit in nicely on several clubs.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 0
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 15
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)