Jimmy Rollins has interest from six teams

Nov 10, 2011, 4:25 PM EDT

Jimmy Rollins

Well, Jimmy Rollinsfriend says he has interest from six teams. Jayson Stark says that the Phillies, Cardinals, Brewers, Braves and Giants are likely among those six. For the sixth one, I’m going to guess the 1947 St. Louis Browns. Which makes no sense because Vern Stevens is easily one of their best hitters, but that’s the hot stove season for you.

Anyway, Matthew had a great post on Rollins’ future last night and this little rumor tidbit is just a good reason for me to link it again in case you missed it.

Seriously, go read it. There is no death, kidnapping or awful reminders of how depraved humanity can be in the post at all, which makes it the best news you’ve read all day.

1. spudchukar - Nov 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Both Rollins and Furcal have identical OPS+ ratings lifetime. Rollins edge is that he has more power, still is a base-stealing threat, and is two years younger, but Furcal has more range and an arm that rates with anyones. For the price and years here’s hoping the Cards try to land Furcal first.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 10, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I am right there with you Spud. Jimmy is a fine player…who is going to command a much larger some of monies. I am really hoping the Cardinals can ink Rafael to a couple of years while still leaving a little food on the table.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2011 at 6:53 PM

Agree completely….would prefer Rollins, but the extra years and $$ are prohibitive…if he’ll sign for 1 or 2 yrs and is cheap, I’d rather have Furcal and see the extra bucks go to AP and/or toward keeping some of the other guys around longer.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I’ve said it like 6 times now, but the Phillies should sign Clint Barmes as a stop gap. Defensive stud.

• chadjones27 - Nov 10, 2011 at 5:59 PM

How many more times before you’ll stop saying it?

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Numerous…until the Phillies either resign Rollins or sign Barmes as his replacement. When I get these things in my head, I feel the need to spout it out at every given opportunity. For example, when I determined that Ross Gload sucked and should be cut, I beat that drum until after the waiver trade deadline…for like a solid month.

• dwil12 - Nov 10, 2011 at 7:04 PM

dude nobody wants clint barmes so please stop beating that drum. he is absolutely horrible offensively. he is not an everyday SS. his career .302 OBP says enough. i would rather have lee or hamels bat than barmes and honestly freddy galvis could not be any worse than cliint barmes and he would be cheaper.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 10, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Clint Barmes is a defensive stud at SS. The other SS propositions are just as risky offensively so why not go with the guy who is awesome defensively. Seriously, check out baseball reference and look at his dWAR…absolutely outstanding. The two years where he started 120 games at SS he posted dWAR’s of 1.5 in both seasons. Yeah, he can’t hit but will somewhat make up with it by flashing the leather.

3. foreverchipper10 - Nov 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Please don’t come to Atlanta. Pretty please?

• bravojawja - Nov 10, 2011 at 5:36 PM

The Braves have two shortstop prospects coming up. Why block them with Rollins?

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I wouldn’t want the guy for more than $8 million a year.

5. cintiphil - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:39 AM

You are much too clever Craig. I am probably the only one here who remembers Vern Stevens. Maybe Old Gator may remember him, that is if he is really “OLD’. By the way, he was a very good player if my memory is correct!

• cintiphil - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM

No, not Gator, Stevens!

• dcarroll73 - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Hey, what do you mean “not Gator”? I’ve heard he could really flash that leather.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3974)