Nov 10, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
Hamilton was bothered by the groin injury throughout the 2011 postseason, batting just .271/.289/.414 in 76 plate appearances while homering only once.
If Thursday night’s MRI reveals a sports hernia, he could have surgery within the next 48 hours.
Hamilton is expected to play left field on a full-time basis in 2012 to limit the wear and tear on his body, specifically his lower half. He made 30 starts in center field this past season, 29 starts there in 2010 and another 55 starts in center in 2009.
The results of the MRI should be available at some point Friday morning.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 73
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 68
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (76)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)