Nov 10, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
Hamilton was bothered by the groin injury throughout the 2011 postseason, batting just .271/.289/.414 in 76 plate appearances while homering only once.
If Thursday night’s MRI reveals a sports hernia, he could have surgery within the next 48 hours.
Hamilton is expected to play left field on a full-time basis in 2012 to limit the wear and tear on his body, specifically his lower half. He made 30 starts in center field this past season, 29 starts there in 2010 and another 55 starts in center in 2009.
The results of the MRI should be available at some point Friday morning.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59