Nov 10, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
Hamilton was bothered by the groin injury throughout the 2011 postseason, batting just .271/.289/.414 in 76 plate appearances while homering only once.
If Thursday night’s MRI reveals a sports hernia, he could have surgery within the next 48 hours.
Hamilton is expected to play left field on a full-time basis in 2012 to limit the wear and tear on his body, specifically his lower half. He made 30 starts in center field this past season, 29 starts there in 2010 and another 55 starts in center in 2009.
The results of the MRI should be available at some point Friday morning.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)