Nov 10, 2011, 9:41 PM EST
Hamilton was bothered by the groin injury throughout the 2011 postseason, batting just .271/.289/.414 in 76 plate appearances while homering only once.
If Thursday night’s MRI reveals a sports hernia, he could have surgery within the next 48 hours.
Hamilton is expected to play left field on a full-time basis in 2012 to limit the wear and tear on his body, specifically his lower half. He made 30 starts in center field this past season, 29 starts there in 2010 and another 55 starts in center in 2009.
The results of the MRI should be available at some point Friday morning.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 52
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 41
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)