Nov 10, 2011, 10:16 PM EDT
Finally, some news to pass along concerning this offseason’s top free agent: Albert Pujols.
According to MLB.com’s Matthew Leach, the 31-year-old first baseman is scheduled to meet with Marlins officials in Miami “within the next few days.”
The meeting will probably be similar to the one that free agent shortstop Jose Reyes took part in earlier this week. He was given a tour of the Marlins’ nearly-finished ballpark in Little Havana and treated to a meal at the famous Joe’s Stone Crab.
Pujols has registered a .328/.420/.617 career batting line through his first 11 major league seasons and is already considered one of the greatest right-handed hitters in baseball history. He’s likely to command a free agent contract worth north of $200 million.
The Cardinals want Albert back badly and are considered by many to be the current favorite for his services, but they’re going to have some competition this winter and the Fish might represent a real threat.
It’s not known if the St. Louis front office has had contact with Pujols since the World Series parade.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)