Nov 10, 2011, 10:16 PM EDT
Finally, some news to pass along concerning this offseason’s top free agent: Albert Pujols.
According to MLB.com’s Matthew Leach, the 31-year-old first baseman is scheduled to meet with Marlins officials in Miami “within the next few days.”
The meeting will probably be similar to the one that free agent shortstop Jose Reyes took part in earlier this week. He was given a tour of the Marlins’ nearly-finished ballpark in Little Havana and treated to a meal at the famous Joe’s Stone Crab.
Pujols has registered a .328/.420/.617 career batting line through his first 11 major league seasons and is already considered one of the greatest right-handed hitters in baseball history. He’s likely to command a free agent contract worth north of $200 million.
The Cardinals want Albert back badly and are considered by many to be the current favorite for his services, but they’re going to have some competition this winter and the Fish might represent a real threat.
It’s not known if the St. Louis front office has had contact with Pujols since the World Series parade.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 54
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)