Nov 10, 2011, 10:12 AM EDT
The Peter Principle states that “in a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.” That means that employees tend to be promoted until they reach a position at which they cannot work competently. Most of us shoulda kept our last job, basically. You’ll see this in action if NBC ever decides to give me my own TV show.
Anyway, Mike Quade seems like a victim of that. He’s become a near-punchline for his rather feckless one year and change stint as Cubs manager, but that obscures the fact that he was a highly respected minor league manager and major league coach who should, if there is justice in the world, have no problem obtaining another high-level job in someone’s organization. Like, say, the Twins:
Former Cubs manager Mike Quade is one of a handful of candidates the Twins are interested in to manage their Class AAA affiliate in Rochester, N.Y … Other Rochester candidates include former Red Sox first base coach Ron Johnson, former Mets bench coach Ken Oberkfell, former Braves hitting coach Larry Parrish and former White Sox third base coach Jeff Cox.
Ambition is awesome, but let’s hear it for people finding places where they are both comfortable and can excel.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)