Nov 10, 2011, 8:35 PM EDT
Nats catcher Wilson Ramos was kidnapped in Venezuela over 24 hours ago. His captors have yet to contact the Ramos family seeking a ransom and authorities are short on promising leads.
But El Universal, a Venezuelan newspaper based in Caracas, has uncovered a few more details about what exactly took place on Wednesday evening in the town of Valencia:
- Ramos signed an autograph for a young fan who had been playing stickball just before the kidnappers pulled up.
- An orange 2007 Chevrolet Captiva was the primary vehicle used in the kidnapping, but another truck was also involved. The Chevy had no plates and the windows were heavily tinted.
- Two men, with their faces uncovered, got out of the Chevy and approached Ramos. One wrapped his arm around the 24-year-old’s neck and pressed a 9mm pistol against his head.
- Ramos was with his father Abraham, his brother David, and a cousin. He was the only one taken.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 53
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 104
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)