Nov 10, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
The sports-related news has been terrible these past few days. Really, I can find a joke in a 20-car pileup, but this stuff has been awful and horrific and sad and I just want to crawl under the covers until it all goes away.
But the thing about the Penn State story is that you can’t forget it, even if you want to, because to forget risks it repeating. And as Jeff Passan reminds us, it is, sadly, nothing new:
Before Jerry Sandusky — before he allegedly used the Penn State football complex to commit sex crimes with young boys and before the university spent more than a decade covering up his sins and before the grand-jury report revealed the appalling details of his abuse and before the campus rioted over legendary coach Joe Paterno losing his job amid it all — there was Donald Fitzpatrick, the longtime Red Sox clubhouse manager who lured [Leeronnie] Ogletree and at least a dozen other young, African-American boys into two decades of systemic sexual abuse.
It’s heartbreaking and terrible. Yet we must remember that there is evil like this in the world if we are to have any chance at stopping it.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 18
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)