Nov 10, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
The sports-related news has been terrible these past few days. Really, I can find a joke in a 20-car pileup, but this stuff has been awful and horrific and sad and I just want to crawl under the covers until it all goes away.
But the thing about the Penn State story is that you can’t forget it, even if you want to, because to forget risks it repeating. And as Jeff Passan reminds us, it is, sadly, nothing new:
Before Jerry Sandusky — before he allegedly used the Penn State football complex to commit sex crimes with young boys and before the university spent more than a decade covering up his sins and before the grand-jury report revealed the appalling details of his abuse and before the campus rioted over legendary coach Joe Paterno losing his job amid it all — there was Donald Fitzpatrick, the longtime Red Sox clubhouse manager who lured [Leeronnie] Ogletree and at least a dozen other young, African-American boys into two decades of systemic sexual abuse.
It’s heartbreaking and terrible. Yet we must remember that there is evil like this in the world if we are to have any chance at stopping it.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 39
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 28
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)