Pat Burrell says his career is likely over

Nov 10, 2011, 5:50 PM EDT

burrell getty bat Getty Images

We saw this coming two months ago, but now it seems pretty clear that Pat Burrell‘s career is over. He even sees it too:

Pat Burrell says his baseball career is likely over because of a right foot injury that limited him in 2010 for the Giants. While Burrell acknowledged late in the year that he would contemplate retirement if he couldn’t return to full strength, he now says that’s probably the direction he is headed this winter – though he has yet to make a final decision.

If his career is over, he finishes it with a line of .253/.361/.472, which translates to an OPS+ of 116.  He hit 292 homers and drove in 976.  Word on the street is that he was a popular gent out on the town too.

Not a bad way to spend 12 years between your early 20s and mid-30s.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 10, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I guess it’s time to roll out the Burrell.

2. dlevalley - Nov 10, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Man, I’m really glad he had a little resurgence with the Giants, and had a chance to leave the game in a relatively good situation (other than the injury this year, of course). It was looking pretty dismal for him in Tampa.

Everyone gives Posey a lot of credit (justifiably) for transforming the Giants in 2010, but Pat the Bat’s 18 HRs in < 300 ABs made a huge difference, too. Seeing him and Huff joke around in the dugout, and enthusiastically support the rest of the team, you could easily tell where that team's heart was.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 10, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Pat was a good Phillie. Nobody will ever forget his sole World Series hit.

• bigxrob - Nov 10, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Loved watching pat hit when he was in Reading

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM

You from Reading? I grew up in the greater Reading area.

• lovesmesomeme - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Me too

• bigxrob - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:21 PM

Yeah, dmArmy. Grew up north of town, still live in berks county

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:35 PM

I grew up in Bern Township right by Blue Marsh. My dad still lives there.

• firedude7160 - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I’m from Fritztown (just outside Sinking Spring)

• drunkenhooliganism - Nov 10, 2011 at 7:28 PM

It is a back-handed compliment and all. But I remember the hit. I could point to the place on the wall it hit. And I remember the 30 mph gael that kept it from being the signature hit of his life.

then I remember him being replaced by a pinch runner. and getting raucous applause because everybody knew that was the last time he’d wear the P.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Wasn’t meant to be a back handed compliment. I remember those exact same things. I will never forget it and am grateful to have witnessed it. If that doesn’t happen, who the hell knows what happens the rest of the series.

• kellyb9 - Nov 11, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I was at that game too… both parts!

4. goawaydog - Nov 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM

he would / will make a great hitting coach. thanks for the Giant memories Pat. class act

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3022)