Nov 10, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
Despite previous reports, the Phillies never had a four-year, $44 million contract agreement in place with free agent closer Ryan Madson.
The two sides are continuing to discuss terms and a deal could be struck eventually, but the Philadelphia front office apparently has a fall-back plan in case those talks with Madson completely fall apart.
Here’s the tweet from SI.com’s Jon Heyman:
Madson, 31, registered a 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio over 60 2/3 innings this year, tallying 32 saves in 34 opportunities. Papelbon, 30, posted a 2.94 ERA and 87/10 K/BB ratio in 64 1/3 innings, earning 31 saves in 34 chances. The numbers are similar and the ages are similar, so it’s all going to come down to price.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 0
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 19
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 35
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 47
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)