Nov 10, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
Despite previous reports, the Phillies never had a four-year, $44 million contract agreement in place with free agent closer Ryan Madson.
The two sides are continuing to discuss terms and a deal could be struck eventually, but the Philadelphia front office apparently has a fall-back plan in case those talks with Madson completely fall apart.
Here’s the tweet from SI.com’s Jon Heyman:
Madson, 31, registered a 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio over 60 2/3 innings this year, tallying 32 saves in 34 opportunities. Papelbon, 30, posted a 2.94 ERA and 87/10 K/BB ratio in 64 1/3 innings, earning 31 saves in 34 chances. The numbers are similar and the ages are similar, so it’s all going to come down to price.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8