Nov 10, 2011, 5:02 PM EST
The lack of quality starting pitchers available in free agency is pretty well documented, so it comes as no surprise that Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is hearing the White Sox are drawing trade interest in John Danks and Gavin Floyd.
Danks, who turns 27 in April, went 8-12 with a 4.33 ERA and 135/46 K/BB ratio over 170 1/3 innings this season. He is due between $7-8 million in his final season of arbitration.
Rosenthal writes that Danks could be a target for large-market teams while Jon Heyman of SI.com throws the Rangers out there as a possible fit. Of course, the southpaw was originally drafted by the Rangers back in 2003, but general manager Jon Daniels swapped him to the White Sox in December of 2006 for Brandon McCarthy.
Floyd, who turns 29 in January, went 12-13 with a 4.37 ERA and 151/45 K/BB ratio over 193 2/3 innings this season. He is under contract for $7 million next season while his contract includes a $9.5 million club option for 2013. The additional flexibility could make him an attractive trade option for a wide range of teams.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)