Nov 10, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
The lack of quality starting pitchers available in free agency is pretty well documented, so it comes as no surprise that Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com is hearing the White Sox are drawing trade interest in John Danks and Gavin Floyd.
Danks, who turns 27 in April, went 8-12 with a 4.33 ERA and 135/46 K/BB ratio over 170 1/3 innings this season. He is due between $7-8 million in his final season of arbitration.
Rosenthal writes that Danks could be a target for large-market teams while Jon Heyman of SI.com throws the Rangers out there as a possible fit. Of course, the southpaw was originally drafted by the Rangers back in 2003, but general manager Jon Daniels swapped him to the White Sox in December of 2006 for Brandon McCarthy.
Floyd, who turns 29 in January, went 12-13 with a 4.37 ERA and 151/45 K/BB ratio over 193 2/3 innings this season. He is under contract for $7 million next season while his contract includes a $9.5 million club option for 2013. The additional flexibility could make him an attractive trade option for a wide range of teams.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)