Still no contact from Wilson Ramos’ kidnappers

Nov 10, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT

Florida Marlins v Washington Nationals Getty Images

If you missed the absolutely stunning news last night, Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos was kidnapped at gunpoint from his home in Venezuela.  The details, such as we currently have them, can all be read over in our original thread.

Obviously we’ll continue to update this story as we learn new things today, but for now the only new information, such as it is, is that as of this morning there has still been no word or demands from Ramos’ kidnappers.

Jose Grasso, the president of the Venezuelan Professional Baseball League in which Ramos is currently playing, said that they will not suspend games during this crisis.  His league, I suppose he can do what he wants.

Here’s hoping that this ends with Ramos’ safe return today. Man. What is wrong with people?

1. Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:00 AM

I think what’s deeply disturbing is that he had just arrived yesterday and was supposed to report to his team today. Sounds like they had his itinerary and nabbed him almost as soon as he got home. “Inside” job? OTOH a determined and organized group of kidnappers can pay to obtain almost any information inside the country from a variety of sources. I mentioned Crime is rampant in Venezuela, Corruption (a specific sub branch) is overflowing.

2. sdelmonte - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Today has got to be one of the most depressing sports days I can remember. The basketball lockout. A horrible turns of events at Penn State instead of talking about actual games. And a kidnapping instead of plain old hot stove talk.

3. yankeesfanlen - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM

How in the world did last night’s post turn into a cockamamie political forum?
    The U. S. consulate in Venezuela shouyld be involved as much as possible to aid in Ramos’ return and to help his distressed family.

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:56 AM

That post last night had a lot of ugliness about other cultures and their values. Beyond stupid, some of it. When did being poor and desperate become cultural?

Ramos has hopefully more value to his kidnappers alive than dead. We can hope that they are baseball fans, and his fame as one will help to keep him safe and treated well.

The sports news for the past couple of days has been just awful.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Side note: the organized kidnappings that occur in Venezuela are hardly from poor and desperate people. Lawlessness has simply descended to a point where such crimes are very profitable. I’m fairly certain the Kidnappers are anything but poor.

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I’ll defer to you on the relative wealth of the kidnappers, FC. But the larger point, that this has more to do with economics than any cultural issue, still stands. Kidnapping for profit occurs in all cultures and is money driven. It doesn’t take much looking into to see that.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I see your point Cur, it has to do with economics yes, I agree with that but I would couple it with lawlessness. It’s the very fact that it seems easy to get away with this stuff that allows well connected people of moderate or middling wealth to turn a profit on this sort of thing. It’s not only kidnappings. Armed Robbery is at an all time high. Here’s one story:

On bus trips between Caracas and the west of the country, all roads go through the central highway in Carabobo. Traveling by bus for 8+ hours is fairly common. What’s happening is the incidents of travellers being stopped by gunmen; the bus is stopped and forced off to a side road where thieves can basically loot/rape/whatever at their leisure. There has been widespread speculation that elements of the National Guards and the bus drivers themselves are in collusion to carry out these crimes.

I would contend that in a country with functioning crime prevention institutions this sort of thing would not be out of control and rampant. Of course I don’t readily have data that would support that contention, I would have to look at countries that are economically in the pits but each one with noticeably different police and crime prevention than the others and try to crunch the numbers on the quantity and types of crimes occurring in each one.

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Its like that is it, FC? Not unlike the Wild West there in Venezuela, right now, it seems. Reading up on kidnappings in America it’s hard to miss on how it was rampant once upon a time in early American history; stagecoach robberies, child abduction, blatant robbery on and on. Chavez has to get control of the law enforcement situation domestically, for sure. Wild West lawlessness is no way to run a country.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Lawlessness generally arises in poor economic situations. There is more than correlation between economic equity, stability, and strength and crime…there is causation.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:14 PM

True paper, though we’ve seen some cycles of recession in developed countries and I haven’t seen anywhere near the same amount of crime and lawlessness as I’ve seen and heard in Venezuela. It depends on how well your institutions were developed to withstand the hard times.

• someguyinva - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM

As I understand things, Ramos is a citizen of Venezuela (reports about this are referring to Venezuela as his home country), so I’m not sure what standing the U.S. consulate might have to get involved in the situation.

Here’s hoping for his quick and safe return.

• El Bravo - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I just read through those fairly disgusting comments. I can’t believe the tangent that went down. How you can blame the victim in this situation is beyond me. I have a newfound level of disrespect for Mr. Cepts. Having an opinion is fine, spouting xenophobic and disparaging remarks to fellow longtime commenters is just pathetic. This is a civil arena, I think it should always be that way, that’s why I come back here. One person will not ruin that for me and shouldn’t for anyone else here either.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Indeed.

Just when I was getting used to the idea of ‘Cepts as a tolerable, sometimes-amusing barstool philosopher (think an ill-tempered Cliff Claven), he pulls that bullshit…made me sick to read through those comments this A.M.

• paperlions - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Maybe it’s just society.

4. Kanonen80 - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I read in a Washington Post article that “express kidnappings” are popular in Venezuela. Thugs kidnap someone with access to large amounts of money and drive around with them until they can procure a significant amount of cash for them. Hopefully that’s all this terrible business is and he’ll be released safely soon.

This makes me feel sick as a baseball fan and a human being – I’m having trouble enjoying the Hot stove season now knowing Ramos’ life is in danger…

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM

A movie was made of this very topic, it’s called “Secuestro Express”. While maintaining a politically neutral tone it’s a dramatization of one of those express kidnappings. Pretty surreal and fierce.

5. detroitfanatic - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:32 AM

That’s the way baseball go.

6. wonkypenguin - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:01 AM

When you direct us to the other thread, mention that we shouldn’t start reading any of the comments. That was depressing.

Though not as depressing as this news story. I will wait and hope for a quick and positive resolution to this.

7. The Common Man - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I’m praying for Wilson Ramos and his family. And I hope that the Nationals are willing to help get this young man back if need be. This is just horrible

8. Jonny 5 - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:13 AM

“Man. What is wrong with people?”

They are human. Look at the History of the world, really look at it. This type of shyt is status quo for the human race. This kidnapping thing isn’t even the bottom of the barrel for humanity now is it? Not by a long shot.

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:19 AM

No, J5 sadly it isn’t the bottom of the barrel, I agree. The fact that money can buy Ramos out of this, providing he hasn’t been harmed, is actually a cause for hope for a happy ending. Plenty of other news around today that has no happy resolution….

• El Bravo - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Seriously, the bottom of the barrel is way deeper…I mean c’mon, you have the Philadelphia Phillies! What’s worse than that for mankind? Hee hee, love stickin’ it to the Phillies Phaithful (…and bringing this back to baseball convo at the same time)!

• Jonny 5 - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Cur, I hear you man.

Bravo, The Phillies are on this earth to fight the forces of evil driven by the Dark side. I just got word that Halladay, Lee, and Hamels have flown to Venezuela armed with baseballs to take down the perpetrators. Wait, something else is coming over the wire.. Oswalt has joined forces with them and is currently driving there on his bulldozer, he should be there by April.

• El Bravo - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:51 AM

hahahahahahhaha, awesome. atlhought it’s possible that bulldozer may just stop in Macondo and never come back again…

9. badmamainphilliesjamas - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Just catching up on my HBT reading and mourning the time I lost reading some of the comments on the other Ramos kidnapping thread. Thanks, Jonny, for making me laugh . . . it’s been a depressing few days.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:26 AM

“Depressing” doesn’t even begin to describe what I feel from the things that have been going down this week. Sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying right? Isn’t that the saying?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet