Nov 10, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT
The Marlins season ticket sales push — er, I mean, their efforts to improve their team — continue as they have now been linked to yet another top free agent: Carlos Beltran.
That comes via a report from Tim Brown of Yahoo!, who says the Marlins have expressed interest in Carlos Beltran. It’s a passing mention — it’s not like Beltran is flying into Miami for lunch today or anything – but it is rather striking the degree to which Miami has been mentioned as being interested in just about every free agent out there.
I don’t want to be cynical. I really don’t. But part of me really thinks that someone in the Marlins front office is just throwing names out there in an effort to create some heat for the team as they move into their new park, have their big uniform and logo unveiling on Friday and all of that. I hope I’m wrong about that and that Jeff Loria really is prepared to spend tens of millions more on players. But I have to say, I’ll believe it when I see it.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)