Nov 10, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT
The Marlins season ticket sales push — er, I mean, their efforts to improve their team — continue as they have now been linked to yet another top free agent: Carlos Beltran.
That comes via a report from Tim Brown of Yahoo!, who says the Marlins have expressed interest in Carlos Beltran. It’s a passing mention — it’s not like Beltran is flying into Miami for lunch today or anything – but it is rather striking the degree to which Miami has been mentioned as being interested in just about every free agent out there.
I don’t want to be cynical. I really don’t. But part of me really thinks that someone in the Marlins front office is just throwing names out there in an effort to create some heat for the team as they move into their new park, have their big uniform and logo unveiling on Friday and all of that. I hope I’m wrong about that and that Jeff Loria really is prepared to spend tens of millions more on players. But I have to say, I’ll believe it when I see it.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 38
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)