The Marlins are interested in Carlos Beltran

Nov 10, 2011, 8:16 AM EST

San Francisco Giants v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

The Marlins season ticket sales push — er, I mean, their efforts to improve their team — continue as they have now been linked to yet another top free agent:  Carlos Beltran.

That comes via a report from Tim Brown of Yahoo!, who says the Marlins have expressed interest in Carlos Beltran.  It’s a passing mention — it’s not like Beltran is flying into Miami for lunch today or anything  — but it is rather striking the degree to which Miami has been mentioned as being interested in just about every free agent out there.

I don’t want to be cynical. I really don’t. But part of me really thinks that someone in the Marlins front office is just throwing names out there in an effort to create some heat for the team as they move into their new park, have their big uniform and logo unveiling on Friday and all of that.  I hope I’m wrong about that and that Jeff Loria really is prepared to spend tens of millions more on players.  But I have to say, I’ll believe it when I see it.

1. Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 8:46 AM

And then when he conducts a fire sale next off-season also believe it.

2. sdelmonte - Nov 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM

If they sign Carlos and Jose, maybe the Mets can offer to trade Wright for prospects and Hanley Ramirez? The Marlins can then say “see the Mets!” to all the expat New Yorkers down that way.

3. Old Gator - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:03 AM

“The Marlins season ticket sales push — er, I mean, their efforts to improve their team….”

Such cynicism, Craig. Tch, tch.

Yeah, the buildup towards Friday’s “rebranding” festival – just nine days ahead of the even bigger Invasive Species Festival at Churchill’s Pub, the competition with which may be one of the reasons for the hysterical tone of the Feesh’s pronouncements – has already jaded a few of Macondo’s spawrts tawrk raydeeo hosts, but some of ‘em have hit the lure so hard they jammed the sinkers against their uvulas (this is not a good thing for those who live and die by the glottal stop). Last night Laszlo on 790 the Bucket, who usually sounds like he swallowed the same live duck that Mad Dog Russo did, was talking about how everyone is going to hate the Feesh for signing all these big free agents the way they hate the Heat for signing LeBone and Hieronymous Bosch, or whoever they are.
    It was a ridiculous thing to say, of course, but at least it filled in some dead time between a parade of guests pontificating about Penn State and the actual news that the Board of Trustee’s tailfeather had floated down upon its target and JoePa’s daisy had finally torn loose from the cliff edge.

4. cidminion - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:09 AM

So i guess when Jeff Loria put money into this team the two years after their world series win doesnt mean anything? Everybody hates no this guy but this guy has done everything the way any of us would’ve done it. He put money into it, the team was underachieving and no one showed. So ya he sold the team but who could blame this guy? All of you haters go back to 2003 and check the years after and see the team we had. As for us going after guys, Beltran will come cheap and seeing as coghlan may be on his way out, Beltran, still at his age can hit the ball and field. As for Pujols, no way, but Reyes coming here and maybe playing SS or even 2B would help this team defensively. Hanley has a great arm but when you’re not a great defender its mute. You can move Hanley to 2nd and he would be fine. Infante can move to third or be put in the OF.

• presidentmiraflores - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Thanks, I needed the laugh this morning.

• Old Gator - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:28 AM

“So he sold the team….” Huh? Look, Scrooge McLoria, after finishing up his job as apprentice hatchetman in Montreal, came down here with the same counterproductive impatience as his illustrious predecessors. They expected everyone to jump on the Feesh bandwagon after 2003 but it doesn’t work that way. You need to build a tradition and keep faith with your fans. It doesn’t happen overnight. McLoria stood up on the stage at Bayfront Park at the end of the championship parade and promised “There will be no (emphasis his) dismantling,” very careful to produce the impression that he was aware of the bitterness that followed what happened during the winter of 1997-98, six years earlier. His resolution was good for two years, at which time he sent the Chihuahua out to explain that a “market correction” (son of Ron Ziegler’s “inoperative,” no doubt) was about to occur. Well gee, at least it was only a “market correction” and not a “dismantling.”

Ah well.

• cidminion - Nov 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Delgado was traded cuz no one showed up to games. You wanna bitch at Loria at getting rid of Girardi bitch at em but seriously? Have you seen the attendance after the world series year and the year after that when he spent money? Lets be real here. You guys keep talking about it but when the fish werent doing to hot everyone scattered for the exits, even when the talent they had was still here.

5. explodet - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:09 AM

So is all of this just leading up to a repeat of a few years ago when the Marlins signed Carlos Delgado and then traded him after a year?

• Old Gator - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Another glowing moment in the checkered career of Scrooge the Hitman McLoria. He signed Delgado, personally assured him he would not be traded at the beginning of that offseason, then traded him anyway. I guess his assurances, like Nixon’s, had become “inoperative.” Cidminion above should add that episode to his long list of reasons why folks ought to like him more than they do.

6. shawnuel - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:17 AM

“maybe the Mets can offer to trade Wright for prospects and Hanley Ramirez? ”

Shouldn’t it be Wright and prospects for Hanley Ramirez?

7. cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Open Message to Mr. Jeff Loria;

Dear Sir,
    I, Cur “el Gaucho” Molina68, am available for the right price, to be on your newly re-branded team. You should know that I am prepared to play just about any infield position, but, since I am a faux-Molina, I promise to posses an impression of slow footedness and excellent defensiveness as a catcher. In fact, I am much quicker than any Molina produced the old fashioned way, while at the same time only possessing a rudimentary knowledge of how to catch +90mph baseballs (but, lets face it, with your pitching staff, that kind of pitch speed’s not gonna happen often, now is it?). I come with neck tats, catching gear, and pseudo-kinship to the coveted Benji, Jose & Yadier. I have Mike Young-esque class, Jeter-esque leadership qualities, and am more gritty than any Florida beach you care to name.

What bigger feather in your player acquisition cap than being able to say you landed a Molina, sir? Think about it. Think hard. Hiring a John Buck doesn’t have to hurt when his backup is named “Molina”(68).

Please reply care of this website.

I remain,
    cur “elGaucho” Molina68

PS. I look smashing in day-glow orange and I loooooove your little techno-mural over the wall there. Reminds me of my days cleaning up road kill.

• Old Gator - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM

An Open Reply to Cur68 from David “Yip! Yip!” Samson:

I would be happy to meet with you and discuss terms, except that this place is crawling with feral pythons, chihuahua-eating snails and monitor lizards and I might get constricted and eaten on my way to meet with you. I will leak a story to the local press that we are offering you a seven-figure contract. Here are the seven figures: Ħ π ¥ Ƣ ǂ ǿ Ȣ

And we will stand by that offer. That and four bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbuck’s, but at least it will drive up the offers you will get from other teams.

Sincerely,
      El Chihuahua

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Dear El Chihuahua;

Thanks man. I can now tell all and sundry that I had an offer from the Macondo Feesh to play pro-ball for Ozzie Guillen. Pity I had to turn it down due to my severe allergy to feral pythons, chihuahua-eating snails and monitor lizards. This will make an awesome bullet point on my CV.

Sincerely,
        El Guacho

8. foreverchipper10 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Craig, I think you hit the nail on the head. This post is basically what was going on in my brain before I read it. How did you get in my brain!?!

9. Tyree Studio - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I know MLB is a business and the days of guys only playing for one team are long gone. However, if you are Beltran don’t you at some point in your career want to settle in and plant roots with one team? I know a lot of the teams he’s been on were because of trades but still:

Royals
    Astros
    Mets
    Giants
    New Team

Seems like a lot of moving around for a guy that has been as talented as Beltran. jmo

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester