Nov 10, 2011, 8:16 AM EDT
The Marlins season ticket sales push — er, I mean, their efforts to improve their team — continue as they have now been linked to yet another top free agent: Carlos Beltran.
That comes via a report from Tim Brown of Yahoo!, who says the Marlins have expressed interest in Carlos Beltran. It’s a passing mention — it’s not like Beltran is flying into Miami for lunch today or anything — but it is rather striking the degree to which Miami has been mentioned as being interested in just about every free agent out there.
I don’t want to be cynical. I really don’t. But part of me really thinks that someone in the Marlins front office is just throwing names out there in an effort to create some heat for the team as they move into their new park, have their big uniform and logo unveiling on Friday and all of that. I hope I’m wrong about that and that Jeff Loria really is prepared to spend tens of millions more on players. But I have to say, I’ll believe it when I see it.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 36
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 44
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)