Nov 10, 2011, 9:14 AM EST
Missed this the other day, but since it’s “collect every tenuous rumor” season around here, may as well add it to the pile: the Yankees met with Edwin Jackson’s agent the other day for “preliminary discussions.”
Not too interesting in and of itself. The Yankees need pitching so they’re obviously going to talk to tons of pitchers, partially out of interest, partially to signal to the guys they are interested in that they have other options. Conversations with Jackson’s people could be a Mark Buehrle or C.J. Wilson negotiating ploy. Frankly, that kind of stuff interests me way more than actually considering Edwin Jackson pitching in New York.
At some point someone should write the definitive book about the hot stove season. How it works, collecting war stories. Getting people to dish on all of the crazy stuff that actually happens in negotiations. We often get standalone stories like that after a big signing — “inside the Carl Crawford negotiation!” — but I’d read 300 pages about that kind of thing if it was out there, wouldn’t you?
Anyway, Jackson is 28 and has electric stuff that sometimes looks awesome and sometimes looks terrible. He’s one of those dudes who has already pitched for a zillion teams and I imagine he’ll be in Kenny Lofton/Matt Stairs territory before it’s all done. I have a hard time seeing him in pinstripes on a four-year deal.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 1
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 20
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)