Nov 10, 2011, 9:14 AM EDT
Missed this the other day, but since it’s “collect every tenuous rumor” season around here, may as well add it to the pile: the Yankees met with Edwin Jackson’s agent the other day for “preliminary discussions.”
Not too interesting in and of itself. The Yankees need pitching so they’re obviously going to talk to tons of pitchers, partially out of interest, partially to signal to the guys they are interested in that they have other options. Conversations with Jackson’s people could be a Mark Buehrle or C.J. Wilson negotiating ploy. Frankly, that kind of stuff interests me way more than actually considering Edwin Jackson pitching in New York.
At some point someone should write the definitive book about the hot stove season. How it works, collecting war stories. Getting people to dish on all of the crazy stuff that actually happens in negotiations. We often get standalone stories like that after a big signing — “inside the Carl Crawford negotiation!” — but I’d read 300 pages about that kind of thing if it was out there, wouldn’t you?
Anyway, Jackson is 28 and has electric stuff that sometimes looks awesome and sometimes looks terrible. He’s one of those dudes who has already pitched for a zillion teams and I imagine he’ll be in Kenny Lofton/Matt Stairs territory before it’s all done. I have a hard time seeing him in pinstripes on a four-year deal.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)