UPDATE: Wilson Ramos confirmed to still be alive

Nov 10, 2011, 12:12 PM EST

Wilson Ramos AP

UPDATE:  Ben Goessling reports that Venezuelan authorities have confirmed that Wilson Ramos is still alive.

This is not unexpected as kidnapping in Venezuela has traditionally been a financial affair so it’s not necessarily reasonable to expect any harm to come to Ramos.  That said: when you kick off a serious crime anything can happen, so it’s good news to hear that Ramos is still safe.

10:31 AM: Still no word from the Wilson Ramos kidnappers, but apparently the vehicle that was used in the kidnapping has been found abandoned an hour away from Ramos’ home.

I fear that any new information in this story will come out in drips and drabs like that all day today.  In the meantime, a good Twitter follow for updates is Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.  He can be followed here. His latest story on the matter is here.

1. pbsenerchia - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM

God this sucks. We’re praying for you, Wilson.

• bobwsc - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:50 PM

who could give this a thumbs down?

• aceshigh11 - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM

There are some thoroughly-miserable people out there.

Atheists, perhaps? Hell, I’M an atheist, and I wouldn’t thumbs-down an exhortation to pray under these circumstances.

What an awful story. I hope this ends well for him and his family.

• paulydefense - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:56 PM

The five people that kidnapped Wilson Ramos.

2. trevorb06 - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Maybe that trade wasn’t that bad for the Twin’s after all.

Too early? Yeah, I agree. Don’t worry I already thumb downed myself.

• The Common Man - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM

Dude. Not appropriate.

• kopy - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Even as a Twins fan making a purely baseball analytic approach to the trade and temporarily pretending that Wilson Ramos isn’t in serious danger, it’s still a bad trade. The Twins are better off paying Wilson Ramos a small amount of money, whether or not he even plays, than they are paying Matt Capps $7M to pitch poorly in high leverage situations and prevent the budget from allowing signings of competent players.

The flip side of these kidnappings being somewhat common is that there’s a higher chance of a “routine” safe exchange. Let’s all hope for that.

• CJ - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Especially with the hindsight of Mauer’s injury last season. If they could’ve gotten ANY production out of the catching position while Mauer was out, they might have eeked out a postseason berth.

Definitely not funny, and even if the worst scenario comes to fruition it was still a horrible deal.

• Joe - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I don’t think Wilson Ramos alone would have helped them make up 28 games. Here’s hoping he’s returned safely soon.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM

To quote Jeff Ross: “Too soon, too soon.”

3. detroitfanatic - Nov 10, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I know how to save him. They just need to uh. They need to, um. There are three things crucial to saving his life. I can remember what the first 2 are, but the last one… awww shucks. I really stepped in it. If only I’d have written the answer on my hand, like Sarah.

• El Bravo - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:23 PM

but what’s the third thing?

• detroitfanatic - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:39 PM

EPA

• phukyouk - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:10 PM

OK…. NOW i get it.. props to you!

4. phukyouk - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Didn’t this happen to Ugith Urbina like 5 yrs ago? i think his family was kidnapped and he hunted down and killed the kidnappers, right?

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Err, no. He actually torched and used a machete on a bunch of hired help. I’m fairly certain he was intoxicated or under some kind of drug influence. He’s currently serving a 14 year prison sentence, and THAT’s how the Phillies’ traded away Placido Polanco…

• phukyouk - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:47 PM

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Phukyouk, I read the article abut the Kidnapping of his mother, but that was in 2004, the events to which I refer to happened in 2005. In any case it doesn’t say in that article that Urbina went on a rampage a la “Commando” and hunted down the mother-nappers. Do you have any follow up info?

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:17 PM

He might of had a family member kidnapped but he didn’t hunt them down and kill them. If I remember correctly, he was drunk and accused some hired farm workers of stealing. Apparently, he went after them with a machete while simultaneously attempting to light them on fire.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Right Dr. that’s the 2005 incident that sent him to prison on a 14 year sentence. Phukyouk is linking to an event the year before when his mother was kidnapped. It’s not clear to me how that was resolved.

• phukyouk - Nov 10, 2011 at 3:16 PM

No i think you are right. i was merging two stories together. i feel like they happened pretty close together but I may be wrong.

• seattlej - Nov 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM

I think you’re thinking of Harrison Ford. Some real psycho assholes kidnapped his family, but he hunted them down and killed the fuckers by following the GPS tracking on his car. It was pretty sweet, they shouldn’t have stolen his car too. That was a bad move.

• phukyouk - Nov 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM

god that was such a bad movie… i honestly cannot even remember the name all i remember is some damn Golden retriever saving them all… I think

5. Bill - Nov 10, 2011 at 11:42 AM

HEY GUYS LET’S TURN THIS INTO AN ARGUMENT ABOUT POLITICS

• kopy - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:06 PM

MY BELIEFS ARE CORRECT AND YOURS ARE NOT

• Bryz - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM

MAYBE IN THE 1950S.

• elmedico27 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

WHATEVER.

PERSONAL CHARACTER ATTACK

I’M BETTER THAN EVERYONE

• El Bravo - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

PIE RULZ

• El Bravo - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:31 PM

RELATEDLY, CLICK AND GET YOUR MIND BLOWN: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/374144_307596945919179_100000066292614_1313060_853476437_n.jpg

• kellyb9 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:42 PM

I LOVE LAMP!

6. Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Cringe-worthy… the fact that anything related to Kidnapping in Venezuela can be labeled traditional. Sad day indeed… To be fair though, Kidnapping in essence is almost always a financial affair regardless of time or place.

• umrguy42 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I don’t want to sidetrack it, but I think nowadays here in the US, most kidnappings are either a.) domestic issues involving parents and child custody, or b.) sexual predators who aren’t looking to get paid. :(

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Yeah, kidnapping for profit doesn’t work well in the presence of strong, relatively uncorrupt law enforcement. Doesn’t mean people wont try it, though, just means more often than not, the nuts get caught before they can do anything stupid. Ask David Letterman about that….

Hence, while many (often children and young people by divorced/separated spouses or crazy men preying on random victims) are kidnapped, its rarely carried out with an eye for monetary return here in North America.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:30 PM

You both make excellent points, that only makes me sadder however…

7. bleedgreen - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:30 PM

If he makes it out of this, does he just up and move everyone he knows and loves to the US?

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Who knows, I’m certain they will at least discuss it and it would not be surprising. There are large communities of expats in Miami.

8. Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:32 PM

More updates: the government is involving every security branch into this: Not only is the “judicial police” involved (A sort of cross between the FBI and wannabe CSI) but now the Anti-extortion arm of the National Guard (not surprising, there are frequent kidnappings along the border so their group is useful), Military intelligence (this would the intelligence services of the Armed forces which is separate from the National Guard) and the national intelligence branch (a sort of pseudo KGBish group from what I know which is very little).

Also, forensic artists have come up with two perpetrators. I got all this from “El Universal” spanish edition though. (www.eud.com)

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Chavez is taking this pretty seriously. I wasn’t aware that he even had a ‘secret service’. I hope he’s finally lost patience with all this kidnapping stuff, because its been too easy to get away with it if your information is anything to go by FC. Maybe he’s a baseball fan? Or, could it be, a closet Nationals fan? Whatever, so long as he can get a good outcome for Ramos.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:51 PM

He is a BIG baseball fan, so that may explain part of it. Also this is a very public and sensational kidnapping. I’m sure that if it were somebody else it would not receive a 10th of the attention, primarily due to limited resources. I don’t think he’s specifically lost patience with anything, it’s just that this particular case has such a high profile.

Though if I were a Nats fan, I’d hope beyond hope that Chavez is NOT a closet Nats fan, because ever since he declared himself a fan of the Winter League Navegantes del Magallanes, THAT team has yet to win another championship…

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 12:52 PM

To elaborate: he was a pitcher while serving in the Army, at some point he seriously considered a baseball career… damn, and to think, he could have been Ozzie Guillen Redux… with that temper and foul mouth…

• cur68 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:24 PM

You never know what the tipping point is with some things. Law came to the untamed Texas West in America after a series of raids and brutal murders: the Texas Rangers were formed. Perhaps civil law enforcement reform will be driven by the kidnapping of star baseball player?

The chances of Wilson Ramos getting out of this in one piece are rather good. I sure hope so, but I also hope for something larger. Perhaps this baseball related incident will bring about meaningful civil change for the better in Venezuela much like baseball did for racial integration in professional sports here in North America. Venezuela could sure use it. And, of course, it would be really cool if baseball was once again responsible for something important in the real world.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I wouldn’t hold my breath Cur, yes it’s probably the first incident of an MLB Venezuelan player being kidnapped but this has been going on for years now, other players have had family members kidnapped and ransomed, so it’s not like you couldn’t see it coming. However if it does produce a tipping point that would be nice.

I also agree there is a solid chance Wilson will be returned alive and well. As a matter of fact I’m starting to think the Kidnappers bit off more than they could chew. I’m not sure they thought they would spark such a huge hornet’s nest. They probably thought Wilson was not that famous or noteworthy, just enough for their monetary purposes.

• seattlej - Nov 10, 2011 at 3:51 PM

My sources confirm that Hugo Chavez, after consulting with the Governator, has replaced Magglio Ordonez’s gimpy leg with a cyborg leg and has retrofitted him with machine gun hands. As the dictator’s dutiful lap dog, the “Nezinator” has set out in hot pursuit of the kidnappers…

9. danielcp0303 - Nov 10, 2011 at 1:50 PM

What a terrible week in sports, although they aren’t really sports stories….real life stories involving athletes and coaches. Hope this all turns out well for Ramos and his family. Sad stuff

10. Francisco (FC) - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Update: According to the Minister of Domestic Affairs and Security (my chosen translation) they haven’t heard from the Kidnappers yet… this begs the question.. who in the Government confirmed Ramos was alive?

• El Bravo - Nov 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM

from the ny post article: “It was not immediately clear how police verified Ramos’ status.” sketchy…

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/kidnapped_nationals_catcher_ramos_ajjzDxQdpA66x3WVlQ2QKK#ixzz1dKmG6a4B

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5889)