“Deep down” Terry Francona wants to manage the Cubs

Nov 11, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT

Terry Francona AP

It’s getting so damn touchy-feely in baseball these days.  Yesterday we heard about how the Phillies don’t just like, but “really like” Jonathan Papelbon (is that more than like-like? Hurm).  Today we learn that “deep down,” Terry Francona wants to manage the Cubs:

For his part, Francona says he is “trying to stay under the radar” with his unspoken candidacy, but a source very close to him says “deep down” he badly wants to manage the Cubs — for whom he played in 1986 while falling in love with Wrigley Field — and has told Epstein so.

Like. Love. Deep feelings.  This is baseball, people. Big time professional sports.  Suppress your emotions, will ya? Make them manifest themselves in unhealthy behavior later in life like all of the other athletes. Have this untenable conflict within you interfere with your marriages and family and lead you to a deep, empty unhappy place later.  It’s what we’ve come to expect of you and, frankly, it wigs me out when you don’t do it.

1. purnellmeagrejr - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:10 PM

If I had to pick one person to slam over one incident – it wouldn’t have been Terry Francona and it wouldn’t be about his desire to manage the Cubs.

• edog623 - Nov 11, 2011 at 6:26 PM

He isn’t slamming Francona. Does nobody see the sarcasm there? He’s calling out the hypocrisy of the expectations we have for the behavior of prominent sports figures!

2. cur68 - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Terry Francona, you softie you. What is it with these bald guys? Just big old lumps of mush…

3. cintiphil - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM

To be very blunt, it sounds like the Cards turned him down, or already have a manager in mind, so Francona is thinking about another team. I don’t think any candidate for a manager’s position would not manage anywhere he could.

• blueintown - Nov 11, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Or maybe (God forbid) he actively does not want to manage the Cardinals because he knows that either a) they are not going to have Albert Pujols or b) they will be broke because they signed Albert Pujols.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Blue…I am hoping he “actively” doesn’t end up Managing the Cardinals for a number of reasons as well.

4. whatthehellisansky - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

if theo+tito = 2 world series for a *cursed* sawx franchise, why wouldnt it work in Chicago?

i understand the differences between natl league baseball and american league baseball, and tito may need to re-acclimate himself to the natl league, but there are intangibles these guys have that just seems to create a winning environment…

• bigdicktater - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I think you meant “theo + terry”, didn’t you? By the way, I think it would be fun to see if they could make it happen for the Cubbies and their long-suffering fans too.

• phukyouk - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM

tito=terry….

• bigdicktater - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I had his dad’s baseball card, and it said “Tito Francona” on it, although his first name was ‘John’. I didn’t know that was Terry’s nickname too. Have a fun weekend, youk.

• paperlions - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:12 PM

That formula is incomplete, theo and tito were part of it…but so was great scouting, solid personnel decisions by the previous GM, lots of money, and a good deal of luck.

• PanchoHerreraFanClub - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Hello from earth. Manny had something to do with it. It don’t see any Cubbies that hit like Manny.

• paperlions - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Manny = solid personnel decision from previous GM

5. rundmc81 - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Theo welcome to the Northside.. The only players you need to worry about getting fat is Geo and Z.. Hopefully Z is gone.. The Cubs facilities aren’t nice enough to have video games.. This should be a easy transition for you

6. channingtaintum - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Deep down is where I normally have to look to find the Cubs in the NL standings.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Oh nice, an original Cubs insult. Nice tact, well done.

7. mvp43 - Nov 11, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I’m 10,000% certain that he deep down wants to mangage the Cubs.

8. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I will simply say that I am all for Mr. Francona coming to the Cubs.

9. damnyankee13 - Nov 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM

Deep down I want a Lambourgini

• Robert - Nov 12, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I would like an unlimited supply of Pez.

10. Robert - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Love the Cubbies!

Francona to the Cubs!

11. bikezilla11 - Nov 12, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I know all you Cub fans are desperate for a winning team, but lets not forget that for the last 2 or 3 years francona was one of the worst managers in baseball. His team had the worst collapse in baseball history. WORST EVER. After his pitiful managing this year, I for one Red Sox fan hopes he never manages again except maybe for the Yankees and then let them experience his ineptness.

• Robert - Nov 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Ah Bike,

You do realize this the Cubbies?

Francona led the Bosox to 2 WS and 5 playoff showings in 11 years.

I think he is qualified to lead the Cubs.

Deep down I want an endless toliet paper holder.

Three legends off to Cooperstown