Is this a pic of the Marlins new home uniforms?

Nov 11, 2011, 10:30 AM EST

There’s no truth to the rumor that we’re changing the name of this site to MarlinsBallTalk.  It just feels that way.

Anyway: the Marlins will officially unveil all of their newness — name, logo, uniforms, etc. — tonight, but David Villavicencio has snagged what looks like a sneak peak from what appears to be season tickets or season ticket forms or something:

source:

Said it before and I’ll say it again: the hell with the haters. I like ‘em. I like that they’re doing something fresh and new. There was a time in this country when we didn’t look backwards all the time. We looked forward and tried stuff and didn’t care all that much if, in a few years, we realized it was a mistake.

Leave the understated block letters to the franchises crushed under the weight of their own history.  If your team is less than 20-years-old, let your freak flag fly.

1. Bryz - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM

In that picture, the uniform actually doesn’t look that bad. I don’t know about everyone else, but it kinda looks like a college uniform to me.

• 78mu - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:02 AM

The uniform do look pretty bland except for the logo.

But I think they will carry over the logo’s theme over to the uniforms and will be wearing the Astro’s rainbow uniforms. The Astros probably have storage rooms full of them in the bowels of the Astrodome just waiting for some team to take them off their hands for a nice low low price.

• Kyle - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I totally thought the same thing, randomly. Very collegiate looking for whatever reason.

2. marshmallowsnake - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:46 AM

It does look like a college uniform. Maybe the alternate ones will look better.

3. cintiphil - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I sort of looks like a get up for a dance troupe to me. Very fashionable, but probably not a favorite for a PRO BASEBALL TEAM! But then again, maybe I am wrong. They might dance their way to the playoffs.

4. Loren - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

When Loria owned the Expos and was pitching a new baseball stadium while he was still at least going through the motions of keeping the Expos in Montreal he looked at all the retro stadiums going up and went the other direction pitching a very modern design. These new uniforms are totally in keeping with that philosophy. I don’t know if I like them yet or not, but it is refreshing to see someone try to strike off in a new direction.

5. bobwsc - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

looks like it has an old school vegas flare. there is a reason all that stuff got demolished.

6. kopy - Nov 11, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I like it. It completely bucks the trend of professional sports teams adopting blue or red as a primary color.

• cintiphil - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Yes, I see that you must be a dancer yourself.We don’t care what the players want. Art is all that counts!

7. 1972wasalongtimeago - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Nice. I can definitely live with that look. Was VERY woried we were headed for the 1980 Astros Rainbow look.

• cintiphil - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I see what you are saying. I do believe that Houston uniform is even worse. However many great players wore it.

8. 1972wasalongtimeago - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Now if only the Dolphins would lose the aqua pants and the blue dropshadow, we’ll really be in business.

9. hasbeen5 - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM

When do Phillies/Yankees fans start bit%$ing about all the Marlins posts? Or have I missed that in one of the other threads already?

10. tashkalucy - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Pretty distinguished stuff!

Players will be looking like a large snowcone.

11. tomtravis76 - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:57 AM

You would hope they go with Marlins for their home jerseys and Miami for the away.
    They are not bad, they are very influenced by the Latin baseball leagues, which is very smart , because they went all in on trying to be the Latin MLB team. The Marlins have a real chance to even put a bigger hurt in Steve Ross’s wallet if they can put some names on the roster and win. The Heat and Marlins can own the city of Miami, since the Dolphins do most of their marketing to Broward and Palm Beach.

12. Tribe&Browns&Cavs - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM

The white is great. It’s the black hats/unis that look like a rainbow upchucked on the night sky I don’t like.

13. clydeserra - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

10% Craig

• clydeserra - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:14 PM

dammit. 100%

14. Old Gator - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM

“There was a time in this country when we didn’t look backwards all the time. We looked forward and tried stuff and didn’t care all that much if, in a few years, we realized it was a mistake.”

Like you were around in 1861?

15. JB (the original) - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:28 PM

“If your team is less than 20-years-old, let your freak flag fly.”

So Craig, you saying the DEVIL Rays should go back to: http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/sports-15ugliestuniforms/16/ ?

16. JBerardi - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Typography wept.

17. JB (the original) - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Hey, he also Tweeted this pic (much better, or worse, depending on your point of view): https://p.twimg.com/Ad_G8nhCEAAIihr.jpg

• leerosenthall - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Oh, Lord, just when I was thinking they weren’t that bad actually — you had to post that. They’re awful. Sorry.

And why TF would anyone want to wear a black hat in Miami? I thought that was one bad decision they would have remedied, but, no.

Honestly, I’m embarrassed for them. Who are their “style” consultants, the same people advising the University of Maryland football program?

18. b7p19 - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I like them. If anything, I think they may be a little to UNDERSTATED. I hope they have an all orange third uni or something. Also, if they “go gray” like everyone else for the away unis I will be very dissapointed. We need a new away uni trend like we had in the 80’s with the light blue.

19. jpyanes - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:01 PM

This is a pic of Bonifacio and Infante wearing the alternate jerseys (black & orange).

You’re welcome HBT.

• JB (the original) - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Little slow there jpyanes, that’s the same picture I posted 30 minutes ago, 2 replies up, and I wasn’t even sarcastic about it.

• jpyanes - Nov 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM

It’s okay. I missed it. No big deal, as long as everyone is able to see how hideous these Uni’s are. I’m a Marlins fan, but I will never buy any merchandise as long as they’re wearing that crap!

20. Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Somehow I’m not as repelled, then again I’ve seen Orange unis before and not in Miami…

21. Robert - Nov 11, 2011 at 9:12 PM

This style fits South Florida.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester