Nov 11, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Twins are the lucky winners of the Jamey Carroll derby and are closing in on a multi-year deal. He’s expected to be their starting shortstop. Terms aren’t disclosed, but I presume it won’t be four years, $50 million. UPDATE: Rosenthal says it looks like two-years, $7 million. Seems pretty damn reasonable, actually.
11:00 AM: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Jamey Carroll is close to signing a multi-year contract. We don’t know who with — Mystery Team!! — but a lot of teams have expressed interest ranging from the Tigers, Rockies, Dodgers, Indians and Braves.
Maybe a multi-year deal is sort of nuts, but in a world where Willie Bloomquist gets one Carroll is certainly entitled. Because, like, he’s better. Indeed, he seems poised to get a starting job someplace, either at short or at second base, even at age 38, having just batted .290 with a .359 OBP. And he’s thought of as a model baseball citizen, great clubhouse presence kind of guy.
So much so that I’m shocked that the Braves haven’t signed him already. Like, last week. He’s the most Braves player to hit the market in five years, I bet. And I’m not complaining. He’d be better than Alex Gonzalez for a year or perhaps two while the Braves’ shortstop prospects mature. This is a team that found a home for Walt Weiss, so they can certainly make room for Carroll.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)