Nov 11, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Twins are the lucky winners of the Jamey Carroll derby and are closing in on a multi-year deal. He’s expected to be their starting shortstop. Terms aren’t disclosed, but I presume it won’t be four years, $50 million. UPDATE: Rosenthal says it looks like two-years, $7 million. Seems pretty damn reasonable, actually.
11:00 AM: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Jamey Carroll is close to signing a multi-year contract. We don’t know who with — Mystery Team!! — but a lot of teams have expressed interest ranging from the Tigers, Rockies, Dodgers, Indians and Braves.
Maybe a multi-year deal is sort of nuts, but in a world where Willie Bloomquist gets one Carroll is certainly entitled. Because, like, he’s better. Indeed, he seems poised to get a starting job someplace, either at short or at second base, even at age 38, having just batted .290 with a .359 OBP. And he’s thought of as a model baseball citizen, great clubhouse presence kind of guy.
So much so that I’m shocked that the Braves haven’t signed him already. Like, last week. He’s the most Braves player to hit the market in five years, I bet. And I’m not complaining. He’d be better than Alex Gonzalez for a year or perhaps two while the Braves’ shortstop prospects mature. This is a team that found a home for Walt Weiss, so they can certainly make room for Carroll.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)