UPDATE: Jamey Carroll, Twins agree to a two-year deal

Nov 11, 2011, 3:38 PM EDT

Carroll_Jamey

UPDATEJerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Twins are the lucky winners of the Jamey Carroll derby and are closing in on a multi-year deal.  He’s expected to be their starting shortstop.  Terms aren’t disclosed, but I presume it won’t be four years, $50 million.  UPDATE:  Rosenthal says it looks like two-years, $7 million.  Seems pretty damn reasonable, actually.

11:00 AMJerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that Jamey Carroll is close to signing a multi-year contract. We don’t know who with — Mystery Team!! — but a lot of teams have expressed interest ranging from the Tigers, Rockies, Dodgers, Indians and Braves.

Maybe a multi-year deal is sort of nuts, but in a world where Willie Bloomquist gets one Carroll is certainly entitled. Because, like, he’s better. Indeed, he seems poised to get a starting job someplace, either at short or at second base, even at age 38, having just batted .290 with a .359 OBP.  And he’s thought of as a model baseball citizen, great clubhouse presence kind of guy.

So much so that I’m shocked that the Braves haven’t signed him already. Like, last week.  He’s the most Braves player to hit the market in five years, I bet.  And I’m not complaining.  He’d be better than Alex Gonzalez for a year or perhaps two while the Braves’ shortstop prospects mature.  This is a team that found a home for Walt Weiss, so they can certainly make room for Carroll.

1. Alex K - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I love that Carroll is still in the Majors. We need more players from the University of Evansville Purple Aces make it. Yeah, I just want my college to have a good baseball team again.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Your a Purple Aces alum huh?
      Wow Alex…who whoulda’ thunk it?
      I might actually be able to better tolerate you now (Cubs fan or not)! LOL!

• Alex K - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Yes sir! Go Aces! I want to try and make it down to their new basketball stadium this year.

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Yeah…wait till’ you see Colt Ryan play. He’s a Batesville kid who can flat out play some ball. As a an Indiana All Start…he was a wonderful sign for Evansville.
        He turned down several offers to much larger D-1 schools but chose to play where he could get immediate playing time.

• Alex K - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Are you a UE alum? I gathered from other posts that you were probably from Indiana – and saw yesterday you live in Indy. Why in the world else would you know or care one bit about UE athletics?

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Hahaha! Fair question Alex. Not and EU Alum (my Mother-in-law is…along with some other people I know). I went to Indiana Wesleyan. I just follow the local sports scene very closely. Especially baseketball (growing up an Indiana kid).
        Loved Jim Crews (kind of hard not too with him being an IU Alum) and Jerry Sloan (another EU Alum a lot of people don’t realize).

• Alex K - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Only people who didn’t go to UE forget that Sloan went there. I was at UE for Crews’ last year and some of Murfeld’s time. I like what Marty is doing.

Go Aces!

2. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Old, good club house guy, mystery team….sounds like the Phillies.

• JBerardi - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Please. A multi-year deal to a 38 year old utility infielder? There’s exactly two possibilities here: Carroll’s agent is feeding these rumors, or Brian Sabean is actually thinking about doing this.

• proudlycanadian - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM

The mystery team is actually The Blue Jays, but do not tell anyone.

• CJ - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:32 PM

that’s not funny Dr!

Jamey was spotted in Philly the other day. No major outlets made a big thing about it though, mostly because it was Jamey Carrol, lol. Maybe they are thinking just a fil in until Galvis is ready.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I was actually being serious. Jerry Crasnick reported that the Phillies were among the team as interest. I sure as hell hope they wouldn’t sign him to be an everyday player though. The Phillies need some bench upgrades and he would be a clear upgrade from either Valdez or Martinez.

3. seattlej - Nov 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Probably Colletti’s best move as GM… which says something about Carroll’s play the last two years and Colletti’s reign as GM.

• lanflfan - Nov 11, 2011 at 3:48 PM

It says a heck of a lot more about Carroll’s play, since Ned is plain lucky as a GM. Any other team either would have fired Needle Head Ned by now, or never would have hired him in the first place.

4. Kyle - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:01 PM

For comedies sake, I hope the mystery team is the Diamondbacks.

5. Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Every time you have a Mystery Team Craig you should put up a pic of the Mystery Machine…

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:15 PM

Absolutely FC! With Daphne….naked.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:17 PM

Damn SL1, it has come to that….an overwhelming desire to see naked cartoon characters? To each their own I suppose.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Wait a bit there Dr. Hey MAY be talking about Sarah Michelle Gellar…

6. spudchukar - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Hey, Jamey Carroll is better than you might believe. He has a career .356 OBP, and can play anywhere, with above average ability. He can still steal a base, and sure seems to be a young 38. For the correct team he is bonus, unless you are going to make him your everyday SS, which I doubt will be the case.

• spudchukar - Nov 11, 2011 at 3:32 PM

So much for that idea, Carroll will sign with the Twins as their everyday SS.

• kopy - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM

As a Twins fan, I don’t mind this. Carroll will be a breath of fresh air that will bring the stability to the SS position that Nishioka, Plouffe, and Dozier don’t have. It all depends on the price tag, however.

7. b7p19 - Nov 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I don’t trust him. He has evil eyebrows.

8. lanflfan - Nov 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM

It will hurt to lose Jamey Carroll, as he was a big reason why the Dodgers played as well as they did the last two years. That said, I don’t sign him to any more than two years and it would NOT be as a starting anything. Carroll is good in small doses, but wilts quickly under everyday play.

9. hansob - Nov 11, 2011 at 3:58 PM

38 years old? Man…. Sounds like that speed, BABIP, and walk rate could go the wrong way pretty fast, and then you have a defensively below average 0.260/0.300/0.320 hitter.

10. Bryz - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I have wanted Carroll to join the Twins for years. I hope that OBP and decent defense stays intact.

11. CrisisInMTL - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Ottawa Lynx and Montreal Expos fan who still remembers Carroll. Glad to see he’ll be around for at least a couple more years.

12. azpackerbacker - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:34 PM

This is a good signing and a Twins type of player. Keep er going Terry!

• The Common Man - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I disagree. He’s gonna be 38 and has already been stretched at shortstop. His ability to play the position, and hit the baseball, is only going to get worse as he ages. Most importantly, it’s not at all clear that the Twins needed to pay THIS much for THIS player for this long, given what other teams would be likely to pay him.

13. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Nice to see a reasonable signing on this day of days.

14. The Common Man - Nov 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Apparently, the Twins just can’t have too many second basemen.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3081)