Nov 11, 2011, 8:32 AM EDT
“We truly believe Mitch’s career is ahead of him,” said Ryan. “Making a seven-or-eight year deal for Fielder or Pujols is not something our organization is prepared to do. I very much expect Mitch Moreland to be our first baseman next year.”
I suppose it’s possible that this is all about negotiation and that the Rangers could still be interested in one of the big first baseman, but as I said the other day, it doesn’t make a ton of sense for Texas to shoot the moon like that. They won their division by ten games. The Angels, A’s and Mariners aren’t exactly poised to overtake them. If the Rangers have a need to spend some money on anything it’s starting pitching, not boomsticks.
Ryan doesn’t have a history of talking b.s. When he says Texas doesn’t want any part of Fielder or Pujols, I’m inclined to believe him.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 71
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 216
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (216)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)