Nov 11, 2011, 8:32 AM EDT
“We truly believe Mitch’s career is ahead of him,” said Ryan. “Making a seven-or-eight year deal for Fielder or Pujols is not something our organization is prepared to do. I very much expect Mitch Moreland to be our first baseman next year.”
I suppose it’s possible that this is all about negotiation and that the Rangers could still be interested in one of the big first baseman, but as I said the other day, it doesn’t make a ton of sense for Texas to shoot the moon like that. They won their division by ten games. The Angels, A’s and Mariners aren’t exactly poised to overtake them. If the Rangers have a need to spend some money on anything it’s starting pitching, not boomsticks.
Ryan doesn’t have a history of talking b.s. When he says Texas doesn’t want any part of Fielder or Pujols, I’m inclined to believe him.
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him